I got a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Dec 6, 2001.

1. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I know it is right before Xmas, but I wandered into Sam Ash to play this 68 p bass I've been lusting after. They had this dean Rhapsody 8 string bass and after 20 minutes of playing it I left the store with it. It was slightly used and with the case it was only $300. So far I'm very impressed. It has a nice bubinga top and mahogany back, a 3 piece maple/walnut neck, nice quality grover tuners, and EMG hz pups and 3 band preamp. The construction is tight, the fretwork seems perfect, the action is low and nice. The biggest suprise is the electronics. The pups are dead quiet and are pleasantly warm. The preamp, which I believe is just a generic Dean design, is very smooth and natural sounding, and doesn't create any hiss when cranked. The neck shape is rounded and very comfortable.
    I haven't had a chance to try it in a group context, and I don't know if I'll get sick of the 8 string sound, but if I don't and it sounds good in a group setting, this is a very nice bass to have in the arsenal.
    I recommend the regular 4 string rhapsody for a great cheap beginner bass bassed on this model.
    Anyone else have any experience with this bass?
  2. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    ...congrats on the new bass nonetheless. Sounds like a good find.
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Everyone that I know that has one, has had nothing but good things to say about those 8's. congrats.
  4. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    it looks like a bass with giutar strings and bass strings on it. is that what it is.
  5. man I played one of those last week, it was SO nice! I'm going again today and mess around (while my wife gets guitar lessons :) ).
    as much as I would like to have one, there is no was at the present moment :mad: but maybe someday. :D

have fun with yours ;)
  6. moweezil

Dec 2, 2001
    It's gonna take you 10 mins to tune it:)
  7. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I played one a few weeks back and I thought it was a great bass, It had a nice Piano tone to it when played with a Pick.
    Congrats and good luck with it....
  8. Good luck with it. I just hope you can stand the weight. I don't know about the eight ans twelve stringers, but I've played a Rhapsody four and it was probably the heaviest bass I've ever played except for an old Peavy T-40.
  9. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Really? mine weighs about the same as my jazzes, 8-9 lbs I think. A comfortable weight.
    Those Peaveys though are boat anchors...
  10. The four and five stringers both hade quilted maple tops, so that probably made a difference. I don't know what the backs are made of.