Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got a new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, May 26, 2003.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Went to the local GC (where I used to work) and snagged a nice Steinberger XQ-5 for a SONG!!! If I knew how to post pics on the thread I would, but I'll just attach it below.
    After some love (and despite some issues with straplocks screws), it's quite a nice bass. I just keep slipping off the end of the neck.

2. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    and another pic...

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Very nice. Enjoy it as much as you can. :D

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Cool :) How does it compare to the Modulus?

5. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Actually, it's a different beast than the Mod. I screwed up the system in the Mod and it's wired like Vol-Pan-Vol-Tone. The pickups are DCs in the Mod and I'm guessing a P and J in the Stein. The Stein sounds great, very growly and sharp, more "vintage active." But its 9V output and PJ (maybe JJ) are no match (output wise) for the 18V and DC combo. I may take a shot at getting a new set of PUs, but I'm definitely going to 18V ASAP.

What I like about the Steinberger is that "80's Tone." It has it in spades! With this bass and the GK head, I'm pulling of all sorts of 80's funk and jazz tone.

6. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Congrats. Enjoy! Looks real cool

7. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    hey, post a pic of the headstock please.:D :D