Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whitey, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Whitey

Jan 8, 2002
    Beckley, WV
    I did the trade! I traded my Marshall 65 watt combo for the New Fender American P BAss with the sunburst finish. I currently have a Rogue Bass that I know is cheap but I love the sound of it. I have a Squier P Bass(older model) and now the New Fender. I have only been playing about 2 months. I know that many of you have heard what I'm about to say but, many people and the piano player at church , which has played for a couple big Gospel groups, have told me that they have never seen anyone pick up the bass as quick as I. I play in church every service already. I know that I was catching on quick. I just seems that I can hear it in my head and I find it quick and have noticed certain patterns that you can use to play all songs. I told my wife that it seems to come naturally and I love it. I told her if I ever got another bass I would want a Fender American made P BAss and in the Sunburst color. For my taste I considered this a top line bass, although it wo.uldn't be for others. I am so glad that the Lord opened up this door for me to get it. It is beautiful and I'm looking forward to many years of playing it.Hopefully pass it on to my son. Only drawback is I'm afraid of dinging or scratching it and it kills me in my mind thinking that its going to happen. Thanks for all the information that you all put out here. I am going to become a supporting member as soon as I get my bank card in the mail to do so. I want to help this site stay on and help others also with the changes that is being made because of the growth. Thanks
  2. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Congrats man, enjoy it. Don't worry about dings. It is just a bass. I remember my first Real P Bass too. It was a natural 74 Fender P. I too am a Church player. Keep it up and welcome to the bass world.
  3. liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have to say that that is the best deal ever.
  4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    thats a heckuva deal ya got there. congrats and welcome to talkbass. but hey, in my opinion fenders look best when they have "love marks" all over em!! just as long as theyre not the pre-destroyed time machine models. seriously, theres nothing wrong with a couple dings here and thre in a Pbass. i wouldnt go and drag it behind a truck, but i woudt worry about it either. enjoy!
  5. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    A man after my own heart,you are.
    You play in church,you dig Fender Ps.
    Now tell us more,did you get a maple fretboard or rosewood?Is the body ash or alder?I think sunburst could be either one.
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Congrats on the bass-if i had the cash i'd buy a MIA Jazz 5. The first ding is always the hardest then once you get past the first one they add character. Have fun. thats all
  7. your church probably has amatuer musicians
    i took up guitar/bass/harmonica/vocals/ in less then 2 months each, sure i couldnt play any yngwie/jaco/johnson/dickinson but taking up an instrument isnt hard unless its like the 8 octave organ.
  8. You are clearly a man of taste and style. and lucky to boot. Cpngrats.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am trying to figure out exactly what you mean by this.
  10. have fun with your new bass!
  11. they don't know what there talking about as in his skill-time ratio. i could be wrong but maybe his church is just being nice hahaha
  12. Whitey

Jan 8, 2002
    Beckley, WV
    It has a rosewood fretboard. Although it is a very light colored rosewood. I haven't seen rosewood this light color before. Does anyone know what type of rosewood this light color is? I'm thinking of putting some 7250's Fender Super Bass strings on it, what do you all think? Thanks for the replies. The fretwork and nut work and overall quality of the work and finish is impressive!! It is already set for playability. It feels great just the way it is. The only one out of the 3 I have now that I have not had to make any adustments to. The sound after playing it for 3 days now seems great. It has a good deep, tight,but warm and rich tone to it. I love it! Also, I think the body is Alder. What exactly is the difference between Ash and Alder?
  13. It is eitehr palsander or indian rosewood. I can tell you with absolute certainty that is it NOT brazilian rosewood, which is dark, extremely expensive, and extraordianrily beautiful.
  14. embellisher

Whitey, are you sure that it is rosewood? I am pretty sure that the American Series Jazz and P bass come with a Pau Ferro fingerboard.
  15. Whitey

Jan 8, 2002
    Beckley, WV
    I can't say positively that I am right. I just knew that it wasn't a maple fingerboard and looked like the only other that I knew besides ebony and I assumed it was rosewood, though confused because of the light color. You would be closer to being right than I am as I have only been in the bass scene for a couple of months. By the way, if it is the other that you said, what kind of characterisics does that would have and why would bass makers use it. Thanks
  16. embellisher

Pau Ferro is tonally between rosewood and maple. Not quite as warm as rosewood, not quite as bright as maple. A great wood for a fretless IMHO, and good for fretted as well.

Would I prefer rosewood over pau ferro? If we are talking Brazilian rosewood, I'll have that, thank you. But any other so called 'rosewood', especially the gummy Indian stuff that so many manufacturers use nowadays, I will take the pau ferro.

It's a very pretty wood too, IMHO.

Does it look like this?

17. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California

Though I've been playing a long time,I haven't had a lot of different basses.Fender uses ash on the colors that shows the grain,its pretty and has a trebly tone generally.maple also has a bright attack (the leading edge of the note) and less warmth than rosewood which has a lot of punch and warm depth.Alder is plain-looking,but has nice deep but still clear enough tone.Pau ferro is said to be the best of both I think.

I've played an ash/maple Jazz bass for the last 20 years and recently got an alder/rosewood P bass which I like better.I got the P for jamming with my friends,but our church's MOM(minister of music) likes it too.

Now,if I'm wrong about any of this,perhaps someone here will correct me.That's the problem with this board;you can never get anyone to tell you when you're wrong!!;)
  18. It's my understanding that the pau ferro boards are on the US five string models, and rosewood is on the fours. My best guess for why this is, is that pau ferro is easier to get in wider pieces for fretboards. Some of the newer rosewood isn't looking quite as nice as the older stuff. I had a short conversation with guitar tech extrordinaire John Westcott, who commented on the increasing difficulty of finding new growth rosewood that is as consistent as the stuff from just a few years ago.
  19. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    According to the Fender website, it's rosewood.

Congrats on the bass. I recently picked up a '99 American Standard P with a natural ash body and a maple fingerboard. I like it a lot. I, too, play every week in church, as well as the occasional paying gig elsewhere. For strings, I recommend the 8250's that it came with. They're pretty cool, and the tapered E helps, IMO.
  20. Congrats Whitey. Welcome to the P-Bass world. The best one that Leo created. As time goes on you'll grow to love that P more and more everyday.

As for strings! Well, Leo and God intended that P-Basses are supposed to wear FLATWOUNDS! Not any stinkin' Roundwounds. You can compromise on Half-rounds, but FLATS are where it's at. Try D'Addarios or Fenders. I like and use them both. They make that P sound like thunder from heaven. You'll love it.

Good Luck! Keep Thumpin'! Sammy!