Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i got a new gig

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by discoboo, Jul 10, 2004.

1. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    so my last band broke up in march and i haven't been playing with anyone since (and actually wasn't even looking) but then i get a phone call out of the blue from a local band...whaddya know?...in need of a bass player. after some discussion with my other half i decided to take the gig. they play quite often and travel so i'll get a chance to see my family when we head up north. this weekend will be spent bass in hand learning their material. it's sort of a hootie-meets-billy joel style. not entirely my thing but i can dig it. anyhoo the moral of the story is if you do right by others the favor will be returned. i got the call because the folks at one of the local studios i've recorded at recommeded me. it made me feel good knowing i made an impression. it seems no matter where you go, someone there needs a bass player.

2. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Boy you said it. I've always been loyal to my band, but I can't remember a gig I played where I wasn't procued for something else. In my town when growing up, there was a million guitarists and a very limited number of bass players. Especially bass players that could play.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Congrats on the new gig.

And you've proved my point that it's BS when people say that bassists never get recognition; if you're good, people take note, especially other musicians.

4. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    it's not the big loud obnoxious fella in the room you have to worry about...it's the quiet guy in the corner.
    thanks LM.