I got a new pedal, and another question.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I went into GC today to go Wah shopping. I was planning on getting a Morley PSA-2, but found this instead in the used section. I am hoping that it was the vintage Morley power wah fuzz that people were talking about when I did a search on wah's before I went to the store.
    This thing is huge! I just barely fits on my SKB PS-25 pedalboard. I doubt it will fit in the pedalboard bag. It is A/C powered (it doesn;t have a grounded plug, so I might convert it to a 3prong), and was kept in really good shape. The chrome is shiny, and there is no rust on it. No noisy pots, all the knobs work, and the fuzz that it creates was a nice surprise! I got if for $79.
    My real question is just like everyone else who gets a new pedal. Put them in order for me. I really don't want to use them in the effects loop if I don't have to. I rather just chain them all together and plug them into my GK1001RB head. Here is what I have:

Morley power wah fuzz
    Boss TU-2 tuner
    Big Muff
    Sansamp DI (I usually use this DI instead on the one in the GK head)
    Digitech bass squeeze compressor

That is all I have for now. With the huge wah and the big muff, I don't have much room left on the board. The wah might get moved off to the side of the board if need be. It also works as a volume pedal if it needs to.

2. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    another pic. My fingerprints look like dust.
  3. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    last one of the board.
  4. put it before or after you other distortion, whatever you like the sounds of best.

congrats on the new pedal! i got a morley power wah and it sounds great! im gonna get it modded to true bypass hopefully.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, if you're using the Sansamp as your DI then that needs to be last in the chain.

So, I'd probably do:

Boss Tuner
    Big Muff

Experiment and see what order you like the Muff & Wah in. I prefer distortion -> wah, makes a cool quacking sound. YMMV.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Couldn't have said it better myself. That's the way I would do it, sounds great for me, but YMMV. Give it your best shot and if you don't like it, move things around a bit. :p
  7. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks guys. I will try it out tonight when I get home.
  8. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I don't have a problem using my di in the head, I just haven't tried it. It would probably clean up the board if I got rid of it. I like the added bottom end and slight drive that I get from it though. I guess I could leave it in just for that purpose. Would you change the location of it if I used it for that purpose only?
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I would certainly try it. I've found that my sansamp tends to "Block" any effects that come before it, especially wha's. But I haven't tried putting it before the wha because as David correctly points out, the DI goes last and the DI on my amp isn't up to it..........
  10. I usually start my signal with a wah, good for burtanesque soloing and since the pedal has a fuzz before the wah anyway why get two of the same noise? My suggestion is that you go...

Tuner > Wah > (optional compressor for boost function here) > Big Muff > Sans Amp > (optional compressor for mix down function here)

This setup will give you the most flexibility, the compressor can be used as a booster or to reduce feedback before the distortion and after the wah, or at the very end of the setup for some fine tuning, depends on how much you use it.
  11. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    That is a different idea. I didn't get the wah for the fuzz, and I really think the muff fuzz sounds a little better. I haven't played with it long enough to really make a final judgement.
    How about this scenario:
    I like what the sansamp does for my clean sound. If petebass says it kills some of the effectiveness of the effect pedals, would it be advisable to run it as follows:

soundman's (not as a DI) (effected choice DI)

This would also give me an option to run both a clean and effected DI to the house, or just run it to two heads in the basement (which is where I will be using it 99% of the time). I could use the wah as a volume pedal to shut the effects channel down when I dont want it. The Sansamp seems to do a little bit of compression anyhow. If I didn't go this route, and just kept one channel, the soundman would just use the DI in the head.

This is assuming that it is desired to have a clean and a effected channel going at the same time.

More thoughts?

Just a thought.
  12. I'm more about flexibility of the final outcome, but that's a good idea for recording purposes. Sad thing is most house PA systems are sucked to all hell and/or drown out the sound of your amp onstage completely. So if you turn on one of your pedals running after the DI you and your bandmates would be the only ones to notice it.

PS. Of course the muff will have a better tone than the fuzz on the Morely, but after going through wah you really wouldn't be able to discern the fuzz tone. Here's something for you to try, you could set the fuzz just enough to saturate the wah's Q then run it through the Big Muff and get some really dirty wah wails.