1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I got a new toy(Hammond content)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by poorbassist15, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Someone responded to one of my Cl ads, and said he wanted to trade a Ampeg BA210 for one of my basses. While I didn't leave with the amp, I left with a Tascam 4 track portastudio and....

A Hammond M-102.(I think) Well, I didn't actually take it home, it wouldn't fit in the car. I don't know much about it, aside from the fact it works. I don't know much about electromechanical organs at all, so, can someone explain them to me? I'll add pics when I wrestle it into my house.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've got an M-111, the same model played by JPJ with Zeppelin (the M-100 series is electronically all the same, just different cosmetically)

The model has a few presets for each manual, as well as a setting to use the drawbars. The drawbars cover the root note as well as several harmonics, you can mix the drawbars any way you wish for each manual to get the right tone, even the pedals, with a switch for percussion on the pedals.

A definite blast to play, but if the organ is wired for a Leslie, PICK ONE UP!

3. I'm pretty sure someone around here has a Leslie. I'll get one after Christmas. So the drawbars are like(somewhat) the filter on a synthesizer, mixing different harmonics.

4. I got it today, and after looking at it, it is a L-102, not an M-102.

5. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Keith Emerson used those L-100s for onstage abuse. Some people criticise the chorus/vib on them as being too strong but who knows. I would kill for a valve/tonewheel Hammond. Plenty to go wrong but an awesome sound.

I've only come across '70s tranny Hammonds here at the moment. I was adding Hammond overdubs to my friend's music project. Even a tranny Hammond sounds amazing through an Alesis Quadraverb with one of the modulated reverb patches in stereo...

6. Around here you can get these free, or really cheap. I see Hammonds and Wurlitzers in classifieds all the time. But a free one is better though. :) Mine was improperly oiled, and is now a whole step sharp. And about the Vibrato, without some kind of level control it can be a bit strong at some times.

7. Well, the Hammond came close to shaking itself apart today. 3 of the Keys broke off, the reverb switches no longer work, and the motor ran out of oil and is almost locked up. I just bought some oil and see if I can get it going again.