Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i got a new toy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Aug 29, 2005.

1. well, since my guitarist has just splurged on a roland guitar synth, tech 21 double drive, ibanez wah, dan electro delay i was messin around with a few of his boss distortion pedals at the last practise and found a HM-2 heavy metal pedal.....and man, this is one of the best distortion pedals ive found....so now he's given it to me on a "permanant loan"...until he wants to record with it :hyper:

anyone else use one of these?...are the boss metal zones the same effect but with more eq options?

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    How well does it retain the booty? Pretty good?

3. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I have one. I liked it quite a bit at first, but over time I became annoyed with the mud it created when mixed with the band.

4. thats the main thing that attracted me to it, it retains low end really really well, i use distortion in the sense that rhonda smith does with prince, just for little fills and here and there, so i have the volume boosted a little, dist. at about 8-9, low about 7-8 and high boosted all the way just to get that sharp edge to it....

im still considering wether to have my ibanez tubescreamer ts10 still in my effects loop or not....currently all i have is the ts10 and hm-2 :D ...all i need is a wah and an envelope filter...

but i dont think boss makes this anymore?, i was looking through a few roland/boss catalogs i got and it says the hm-2 was introduced in 82 and, well thats all i know, i think that the metal zone has replaced it, but i only say that because its the same colors and the only control difference is more tone controls...but im starting to think about stalking ebay and buying my own hm-2 :D

5. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    After an Envelope filter? How does a Boss AW-2 sound? PM me if your interested. Cheers.

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    The HM-2 is actually not a bad bass distortion. I've tried one (on a recommendation that I initially found hard to believe) and it seems to retain the lows quite well. I don't know that the Metal Zone is as good at retaining the lows.

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    so would it be worth a purchase? how is the sound compared to a proco rat? (minus the bass retention, i just mean overall sound)

8. to be honest, ive never seen nor played through a proco rat...sorry...but its alot more fuzzier than a tube screamer :p

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I played the HM-2 again today, yeah it has very, very good bass response.

10. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    semi- permanent, fixture. My guitarist found one when he moved into his new house- didn't like it, gave it to me and I sold my big muff.

I keep looking for something better, but somehow anything that comes for free just seems to sound that bit better.
    I'd file it under almost as good as a RAT

BTW It is immense used behind a filter or a wah-
    deep impact+ octave+hm2= :smug:

11. im thinking of incorporating my tubescreamer and the hm-2 into my pedal board....mainly cos i like to have a few varietys of distortion without having to fiddle with settings mid song or in-between songs......also whats just caught my eye is the line 6 distortion modeller stombox simulator thingy ma bob and the filter one..i might check them out