I got a new Yorkville XM200C

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Beefbass, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey everybody, I just got this amp for Christmas(like those early gifts, huh? :) ) I gave this a trial run yesterday, and I'd like to post my thoughts on it.

First off, this thing is LOUD!!!! You guys who said this weren't kidding. With the volume on two, and the bass volume about 3 or 4, this thing was pumping some wicked volume. When I put the amp volume to 3, and opened the bass volume all the way, things I didn't know I owned were rattling! I can't wait till I can hook up an extension cab to this. Although with the gigs I've been doing, I don't even know if that will be necessary.

As for the tone. I played my MIM fretted jazz with DiMarzio ultrajazz pups, and Pbass Deluxe with Nordstrand pups though this. My kazz has D'adarrio XL rounds, the Pbass has TI jazz flats.

With everything set flat, I noticed that this amp still has a great deal of bottom end. It was definitely full. Not anemic sounding in the least. Of all the amps I've ever used before, this one IMHO gives the best tone with controls set flat.

All I did so far to test the different tones, was to use the scoop knob. Just using that, I was able to get a great variety of tones. I tried it all the way clockwise for the slapping sound, because I read here at TB that it produces an awesome sound that way. That is true! The mids scoop out a bit, while the bottom fattens up alot.

I found that with the TI equipped P bass, the scoop tends to sound it's best just a bit right of the mid position. Going counterclockwise gives a more traditional soundong Pbass tone. I like it a little fatter, so I turn it a bit to the right.

I haven't played out with this yet. Probably won't till next Sunday at church. I will give more details later. Based on what I've done with it so far, I'am not disappointed. It has the best tone of any amp I've owned, period. It seems to be built solidly. It's a bit heavy, but I have a hand truck if I need to go distances with it. I expect no problems, and if I have one, it has a 2 year unlimited warranty.

Corey at Rock city guitars took real good care of me. Service was great-I will be buying future Yorkville products there :hyper:

If anyone is considering one of these, do yourself a favor, and go for it! That was the prevailing view here at TB, and those guys were right on. I love mine. :bassist: I think you would love it too. Our friends to the North are building excellent stuff. You won't be disappointed.

Sorry to be long winded. Hope considering one of these finds it helpful!
  2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Nobody uses Yorkville amps here at TalkBass so just go away...

Seriously, I have the XM200 (2 X 10) combo as do quite a few TB forumites. I bought it primarily for practice but have used several times in the larger venues (line out to PA). Use the scoop / contour judiciously; it tends to drop the more desirable mids at higher levels. I run mine at about 9 - 10:00. Still a best buy in my book! Enjoy!