Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got a(nother) new computer!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by John Davis, Jan 1, 2003.

1. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    w00t w00t

I just got a new baby...a Sun UltraSPARC 1. :)

Same one that I was borrowing from a friend awhile ago(I think I made a thread about it). I just ordered a 19" Sun monitor for it yesterday off of www.anysystem.com and then it will be complete.

Specs:

1x 167 MHz UltraSPARC processor

256 MB RAM

2 GB SCSI HDD(I'm changing that for a 9 GB SCSI drive soon...)

8-bit TurboGFX video card(Works for what I do)

SCSI CD-ROM
    Floppy

And an external SCSI-II 7 disk CD-changer. hehe....I have a 7 disk CD-changer hooked up to my computer, this rocks(AND it's bootable).

Also, so I don't clutter up the OT boards, I also recently required a Dreamcast, and got NetBSD up and running on it. Great stuff....too bad I don't have a broadband or LAN adapter for it so I can have a writeable filesystem.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I got socks.
    Doc

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    what exactly does one do with such a machine? i'm guessing it runs linux or something?

i got my new PC almost completed last night. got mobo/cpu/case/power/drives/cards installed, just need memory and video and she's ready to rock.

oh btw, after looking at your sig for the thousandth time, i finally got it. :D

4. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Hehe....yeah, it's running Red Hat 6.2 for Sparc(The latest release, *sigh*). I'm debating on whether or not to get Solaris 8 for it.

Picture time!

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    nice! I'd love an ultra, I've got an old SPARCStation 10 MP with dual 40mhz processors. Solaris8 was dreadfully slow so I installed GNU/Debian (my personal linux flavor of choice)

6. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I was thinking about Debian for a while....not sure, but I know I can fit all 6 discs in the changer. ;)

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :confused: I floppy install, config the network then dselect what I want via a few ftp sites. RH is like 5 or 6 disks these days... ain't it? (I loath RPM based systems)

8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I usually FTP as well....but this way, I have something to do with all those CD racks. :p

I agree with you on RPM based systems....I'm running Red Hat on my PC, and I'm really starting to dislike it. It's helpful for small programs, but most of the time they just annoy the **** outta me. Now...to decide on what distro to put on the Sparc.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You (or anyone else) should give me a computer for free.

10. It's almost as cool as my Sun IPX :)

i can send you a copy of Solaris 8 for it if you wish..

11. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    new computers are nice, ive always wanted to get into a new arch besides x86, but never had the money to..... always wanted a used sparc or alpha based machine...

but im stuck with my collection of comps i guess ill spam a pic!

5comps! (they run http://www.depressing.org )
    4 of them are openbsd3.1

one is a 'transparent ip filtering bridge' 2 are setup exactly the same, they do www, dns, mail, ftp, sshd, ntp, mysql, pop3...

one is a fileserver for the local lan

and the last one is windowsME (the one with dual monitors)

also not pictured is my mothers and sisters computers upstairs..... total comps on the LAN is 7.... people who come into my house wonder *** i am doing 'it looks like nasa down here'
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(the 5th pc is behind the desk, you can barely make it out in the 2nd shot)

id like to see more geeky computer pictures here!

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Drink a lot of soda do you?

13. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    about 6 a day! =)

yess i do im addicted

14. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Sun IPX, eh? Nice. I almost bought an HP Visualize C-360 before I got this, I'm still tempted.

Anyways, about that copy of Solaris 8. ;) That would be very helpful.

15. yay!! another multimon freak! :)

why do you have ME on your pc, though? doesn't it crash like 3 times a day?

:)

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree! What's with the ME? That is the worst OS that Microsoft ever released, and that's saying a lot.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

ME SUX. 98 RULZ.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

98 r0x0rz!!! ßû7 2k K1(k5 @55!!!

19. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I'll post some pictures, in a while, of my adventures at a LAN last night at my friend's house. I brought my laptop running OpenBSD 3.2, my new Ultra1, and my family P4 PC(running ME, unfortunatly...at least I have my own personal drive for linux(though I should put something else on it in a while, maybe Debian or Slackware).

20. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Here's my Dreamcast running NetBSD(along with many, many kernel and filesystem CDs)...a friend and I are going to turn it into a webserver and see how it fares. The motherboard next to it is a fried Dual-PIII board.
    [​IMG]

And here's my truck filled with my computers[from the LAN]. The Sun is obvious(and it's CD changer, lol). The Dell(PC) is in the shadows on the right. My Phillips monitor on the seat, and my laptop is behind it(out of view, of course).
    [​IMG]