I got a P-bass from Ishibashi!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zombywoof5050, Nov 24, 2002.

1. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I know it was a gamble but, with the little I spent on a brand new bass, I feel like I hit the jackpot.

I must have played every P-bass, new & used, in the city of Houston and couldn't find anything worthy that wasn't out of my price range. So I clicked on the "more info" link on Ishibashi's site and wrote a good e-mail expressing my concern about ordering a bass without playing it first. I mentioned several specific details that I was concerned about, and I asked if there was any way they could pay particular attention to these details and pick out a nice bass for me. I even mentioned that I didn't want one that was too heavy or too light with an optimum weight of about 9 lbs.
    I got an e-mail back from Koichi stating that he would absolutely take care of all my requests and pick out a bass that fit my requests but it would take a little longer because they don't normally get these kind of orders. So in my next e-mail to Koichi, I placed my order. A day or two later, I got another e-mail stating that the first bass that was shipped to them was unacceptable so they sent it back and Fender Japan was going to send them three more to choose from for me. A couple of days later, Koichi e-mailed me and said that he and two of his guitar techs had inspected them and chose a very nice one for me and made sure it was set up just right and I should be very happy with it.

Well, I got the bass today and I must say that I am VERY happy with it. The fit and finish is excellent, the weight is perfect, and it plays and sounds great. For all I know, they could have shipped it straight out of a warehouse without even looking at it, but it seems to fit everything that I asked for (with the exception of a 1-piece body, Koichi even told me in an e-mail that they don't have any 1-piece bodies but that they picked one that was 1-piece "looking"). Looking at the back, you can tell it's two pieces but on the front it's barely noticeable. No problem here.

Here are some differences between my new CIJ and a new MIA '62 reissue:
    - Non-reverse tuners instead of reversed.
    - Poly finish instead of nitro-cellulose.
    - No thumbrest or bridge/pickup covers.
    - Gig bag instead of a hardshell case.
    - Neck width at nut is 1 5/8" instead of 1 3/4".
    - Logo on headstock is under the finish.
    I thought it would come with a red tort guard, like on their website picture, but I was pleasantly surprised that it has a brown one which I prefer. The only thing that I would have preferred from the MIA is the Nitro finish & hard case, but for less than half the price I can't complain.
    70,000 Yen shipped to my door within a week of ordering and I didn't even have to pay any Customs/Duty.
    I'm happy with it.

Follow the link to some pics and let me know what you think. Most of the pics came out pretty decent but Yahoo squashes them down into lower quality, sorry..
  2. toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    whats the link to ishibashi's website?
  3. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    These Fender Japan basses look pretty good. A few questions:

How did you pay? VISA, wire transfer? did you have to convert US dollars to Yen first? How much was the shipping to Texas?

How much is 70,000 Yen in dollars? I don't happen to have my currency exchange calculator handy.

Fellow TBers, check out

Link to Ishibashi Japan Fender Basses
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    70,000 Japanese yen = 576.37 US dollars

Exchange rate: 0.008234
    Rate valid as of: 11/19/2002

Courtest Expedia.com
  5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Nice P, Zomby... Glad you are pleased with it.
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd like to know these also & how you didn't pay any Custom charges. :)
  7. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Though I had already heard about Ishibashi and their Japanese Fenders, I had never taken time to check them.

This one is tooooo cute, isn't it ?

(clickable pic)
  8. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    According to Ishibashi information, shipping for a bass w/soft case to USA is 14.500 yens (= approx. 120 USD).