Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got a PA

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CROZ, Sep 25, 2000.

1. Finally, I am the master. I don't have to play with losers just because they have a P.A. It's a little P.A. but it does the job. It's a Yamaha EMX 860ST with 2 Yamaha club series 15" cabs and a 12" monitor cab. I'm using the monitor for my drummer. (it's really hard to hear from back behind the kit) :D <P>
    I just thought I'd share with you guys. I'm happy now. :) I am the new leader. I have taken control--Tom is no more. There is a new sheriff in town. Anyone else have a PA?

2. Or more to the point... Does anyone WANT a PA??

YES Please!!!!!!!! *gets on knees and grovels*

:D umm no bad sight :(

Merls

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have a Carvin PA system. It has a 12 channel input (either XLR or 1/4") mixer (unsure of model number), 1000W amp, 2 monitor wedges with 12" speakers and horns, and 2 main speakers with 15" speakers and horn. I bought my system used from my old drummer, but it is an excellent system (even with some built-in effects). We mainly use it for our band's mics and acoustic guitar and keyboards.

-KB

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Please tell me this isn't gonna turn into My PA is bigger than your PA!!

Chris A.:rolleyes:
    I have a couple of decent PA's BTW. But I don't have to brag.( unless I'm provoked!)

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

It's what Freud used to call "P.A. Envy":D

Will C.:cool:

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like owning the PA. Not for power or control issues, it's just that I know what we've got. We all get paid the same in our band, and that's fine. I look at it like this. The band is my hobby. If I had a dune buggy, a boat or a Harley, I'd be dumping wads of cash into them. By dumping wads of cash into the band, I get do do something I love to do with people I like to be around.

So we play through a Mackie 1604 VLZ with a QSC 1500MXa power amp and an Alesis RA-100 monitor amp. Our mains are either two JBL MR 935's (a 15, an 8 and a horn) or two MR 925's (a 15 and a horn) depending on the venue, with MR 818 subs (usually outdoors). Compression is via a dbx 1066, effects from a Digitech Studio Twin, EQ is Peavey 215 (moving to dbx soon), with a dbx stereo three-band crossover when we use the subs. We snake out to the front with a ProCo Roadmaster 100-foot snake. Our monitors are four EV 12-inch floor wedges. Our sound man runs the board, which is set up in a Genz Benz box on casters.

For teenie-weenie gigs we use a Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro through the same power amp with just the JBL 925's for mains. We run the mains off one side of the power amp and the monitors off the other for small gigs. I usually do the sound from the stage on these.

The next thing is to upgrade our EQ (which actually works fine, with feedback detectors on each band), and get another power amp ... probably a Mackie 2600.

Now you know all my secrets.

bluesdogblues likes this.
  7. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    My husband owns the PA for our band. The only thing that kind of sucks is he and I are primarily the ones that have to lug it around. Those bass bins weigh a flippin ton!

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I just SOLD my PA for that reason. I was the only one that would be around after the gig to wrap cords and to load up the gear. We now hire out a soundman everybody gets less money and I'm a much happier camper .... uh... bass player :)

9. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Were currently in the process of upgrading our PA.

Mackie 16 channel board
    2-Mackie 1400i amps
    Rolls 31 band EQ
    DBX 266XL compressor
    BBE Sonic Maximizer
    ART FX unit
    Behringer Feedback Pro
    2-15" Yamaha club series cabs. We currently rent these.
    2-Floor monitors. Can't remember name right now.

We just finished purchasing all this and now are in the process of getting some quality cabs for the mains. We'll use this setup for the smaller clubs and venues. We'll probably hire and rent someone for larger clubs without a house PA.

10. Got rid of my P.A. long time ago - made too many strange friends.

11. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Are you on a Zombie quest or what !?

(I actually don't care - I just expect these issues from 14 years ago have been resolved one way or the other...)

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I have the 6-channel version of your Yamaha powered mixer I use for rehearsal. Good little head that is.

Got a 16-channel Mackie board and rack gear for a "big" PA, but with the latest band, took to just bringing the powered mixer, patching another small 6-channel nonpowered mixer into it for enough inputs, and running the main out to a real eq and poweramp for FOH, with or without crossover and sub depending, then using the powered mixers built in amps to run monitors. Got plenty good sound with less crap to haul and set up, as well as having some redundancy if something went down.

He who owns the PA makes the rules. Welcome to self-sufficiency/non-dependency. ;)

13. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    He who owns the PA makes the rules?

What if the PA you personally own is bigger and better than the one your band is using, and that the reason you're using theirs is because you've seen how theirs is abused by their soundman who has no clue (but ends up doing a decent job) and you dont want to drag yours out?

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Very valid point.

The only one who controls my PA is me. :)

15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I don't own a PA now, and our guitarist has a good one. But I make sure I do more than my share with load in and out, since he has to unpack his car the next day.

16. Session1969

Session1969 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    I grew sick and tired of crappy sound so I bought a p.a. to use for the bands I play in. It's a line 6 setup (2 tops, 2 subs and four monitors plus the mixer) and even with gigs that supposedly have pro sound , since having it, mine has kicked their butts. It's awesome. I'd say it has bumped things up a notch.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have a small POS PA which actually works well in small settings. Powered 8 channel mixer. I have 3 sets of speakers I can use for mains and a set of monitors. I also have 2 power amps (1000w & 2500w) and also a passive 8ch mixer. Just missing subs which I plan to buy this year. I may also upgrade the powered mixer to something with more wattage and channels.

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    This is what I started doing instead of hauling 16 channel board and bunch of rack gear.

"Heart" of the system is 3 pieces. A 6 channel powered mixer, a 6 channel non-powered mixer that gets patched into the powered one, and one 4-space rack that has a dual 15-band eq, crossover and power amp.

Power amp runs FOH, powered mixers built in amps run monitors. Enough in/out patch points to make it all work.

Gets good sound for crowds up to 150 or so, maybe 200 if you're not doing loud rock/metal, and less gear to carry, less hassle/fuss than the bigger rack system. Some redundancy built in as well if some component goes down.

All fits in a little Corolla station wagon.

19. Hi.

He (she?) most certainly is :D

Since this one was from 2000 as well as the previous one I noticed, I was actually wondering whether it would be the same TB'er again, and sure enough it was.

BTW, welcome to TalkBass vasilio.

Regards
    Sam

20. I got my PA a couple years ago, and it felt like freeedom. No more depending on someone else's stuff to play live. And i got to know my band's settings pretty good to get the sound we want and keep it simple. Congratulations on your purchase. :)