1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I got a pretty interesting compliment on my playing today ...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by IotaNet, May 2, 2010.

1. I play backup bass at my church. The main bassist is a long-time musician and really nice guy. Today after church he said to me ...

"Dwayne -- I was watching the movie, 'Soul Man' over the weekend and the song 'Never Can Say Goodbye' by Issac Hayes is in it. It suddenly occurred to me -- the bass line to that song sounds EXACTLY like something you would play." I was like, "Okay -- thanks for the compliment -- I think."

Here's the funny part, I decided to come home and listen to the tune (check it out here: ) and guess what? It DOES sound very much like a bass line I would play! :D

I am familiar with this version the song -- it's one of my favorites. The bass player is Ronnie Hudson and he played on most of Issac Hayes' 1970's material. While I never consciously copied him or his style, that genre and timeframe of music had a serious impact and influence on my overall musical sensibilities.

I just found it pretty cool that a fellow musician could hear that influence and point out an example of it.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's cool he picked up your vibe. It sounds like the main bassist has some really "big" ears, and that's a great trait for a bassist to have.:bassist:

Iota, I'm sure you sounded great yourself. Classic soul in an Urban Gospel setting is an interesting mix.:cool:

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    man, you must be smooth and cool, congrats!!!

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    That's pretty kool Dwayne. It goes to you that no matter what it's all about the groove.

5. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    Similar thing happend to me. I was warming up for a rehearsal for a pit band for my school's drama production. I was just playing some simple runs and melodies, and the drummer (normally a guitarist and my little brother's friend) comes up and comments on how much Steve Harris must have influenced me. Hit the nail on the head with that one.

6. Mortiis

Mortiis Banned

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    Someone told me I had quite a Sid Vicious sound going on the other...oh :atoz:

7. BassMorpheus

BassMorpheus Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2004
    The Crescent City/NOLA
    Dwayne,

Prince once said, "The word, inspire, has a Latin root, inspirare, which means to breath. God did breathe into the dust and made man and since the very beginning of man that SAME breath of God has remained in the world inspiring us. So, when you ask me, "Who or what inspires me?" [He goes on to say many different artist.] Because I am inspired by that which is God driven or profoundly connected to God...."

When your playing is inspired, remember it is God connecting with you in a profound way. Thanks for sharing man!

Ow-Ow,

PPJ :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist: