I got a question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    will polishing ur bass hurt it, i don't think it will, but i might as well ask
  2. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I have a rag like thing (not really a rag but thats the best way to describe it) that I wipe finger prints off with, it hasnt hurt may basses at all.
  3. I have a black bass so fingerprints are a huge pain in the butt. I just use a rag too. Usually damp it a little and it gets rid of the marks (for like 5 seconds anyway) and it hasnt done any damage.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not at all if you use whatever the builder reco's.
    For instance, I have one bass with a polyurethane finish. The maker says to use car polish/wax - the kind for newer US car finishes that aren't supposed to need polish/wax to look shiny. It dries to a murky film and you wipe it off thoroughly and the bass comes out very flashy.

Another, with a nitrocellulose finish from the 60's just gets a light coat of non-alcohol/non-solvent based furniture polish and buffed.

Those body oils and sweat really can dull the finish.
  5. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I keep a cloth diaper in each case and gig bag. I wipe my instruments and strings before and after I use them. For some reason the cloth that they make the diapers out of are great for this sorta thing. They don't leave any streaks.

I also polish each bass once a month or so. Typical guitar polish. Again, I use the diapers 'cause they don't streak and pick up all the moisture and rub the polish in nicely.

6. Well, I've avoided the problem of body polishing by covering the entire front of my bass in stickers:D.

But the neck and headstock get rubbed with a cloth, and a damp cloth to get rid of muck on the strings. The back of my bass is always in a high sheen, as I don't wear a belt and my clothes buff it perfectly!