1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I got a second chance to buy a Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Busker, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Last summer the local music store had a burgandy red 2006 Highway One Jazz, the upgraded model. The bass was new, but was taking a while to sell, so they marked it down to what was truly a blowout price. Should have bought it then, but someone else snagged it. Honestly though, when trying it out in the store with the older strings it had, through some Behringer or Fender Rumble, I wasn't sure it was all that good.

Fast forward to last Tuesday. I went to the music store and they had this same bass again, that was traded in. I played it acoustically this time, I didn't even plug it in. It felt great and was pretty zingy with the new nickel strings it had on it. It was priced really right, so I brought it home, at first intending to resell it to make a few bucks. I didn't really "get" the whole Jazz bass appeal anyway. I had a Squier Jazz briefly, but it was really heavy, and I never got to try it with a band.

After playing the Highway One a few days, this is the best bass I've owned I think. The neck is so comfy. It has lots of sustain (the BadassII?) and no dead spots that I noticed. Played it at rehearsal last night. It really cut through and has "the tone". I now understand why Jazz basses are so popular.:bassist: I thought about rewiring the Greasebucket tone at first, but now I'll just leave it as is.

jazz1.

jazz2.

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I've been impressed with the Highway Ones. I had a Highway 1 Strat when they first came out. Later, I owned a Highway One P-Bass, which I liked a lot. My nephew has a Highway One Jazz that I played while visiting them up in Pennsylvania. All were impressive.

People usually feel strongly (one way or the other!) about the non-glossy finish. But if you like it, I think they're very nice instruments. And as far as liking the Jazz Bass in general, what took you so long?! ;)

3. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    What took me so long was, my first "good" bass was a MIM Precision. I got used to playing P's and felt comfortable with them. So much so, that I bought a brand new 2006 American Series P. I do like that bass a lot, still, although I have changed the electronics in that bass, to a Dimarzio pup and non-S1 pot. The 2006 Jazz and the 2006 P. They kind of go together.:D

4. I have a Gibson T-bird and a USA J-bass (not H-1, though). Let me just say that I'll be taking the J-bass with me to my grave. I love that bass and wouldn't give it up for anything! I've also recently added a Bad-Ass II on it, which has just increased my love for it.

Just thought I'd add my appreciation :bag:. Never tried a H-1, however.

...and where's the damn USA J-bass club around here? i've done searches, but nothing.

5. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Well, the Highway One's might not be for everyone. Like Jeff K says, the body finish doesn't do it for everybody (it looks good to me, but personally, I feel its too soft a paint. It dings and scratches too easily, but some actually like that because it looks reliced soon enough). But as far as sound and playability, they are nice - mine is at least. I once tried an older Highway 1 P before the upgrades. I think I much prefer the upgraded, with the non-skunk stripe neck and the truss rod access at the heel. It looks like a USA neck. The older, pre upgrade Highway 1 necks were essentially a MIM neck with a USA decal. Nice enough necks for sure, nothing wrong with them per se. I have one on a Franken bass I put together. I just prefer the upgraded style

6. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Used the Jazz on a gig Saturday night. My first ever gig with a Jazz bass. I took my P as backup, but I ended up playing the Jazz all night. I really like it.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Looks like a nice bass. I love new gear at blowout prices.

8. Jazzes are da Bomb - Glad you found a nice one.

9. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    P. Aaron - is that a reference to a Todd Rundgren song?:p

The bass was used by the time I snagged it. I bought it as a trade-in. That's cool. I got it for cheap IMO. It has a few small nicks on the edge of the body, but I can live with that. The neck is really nice and so are the pickups.

10. OlSkewl56

OlSkewl56

May 26, 2007
    South Texas
    Sweet lookin' bass!!
    I got one a month ago under almost exact conditions. It's a new one ('07 3TS) that had hung around forever and they were moving it out cheap IMO. Was the total opposite of what I wanted, but figured a US Fender at that price didn't happen every day. The Hwy 1 is a great alternative if you can't quite afford a std.
    I completely agree with you about leaving the greasebucket as is, and sustain for days!!! (I did put chromes flats on though.)

11. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007

I dunno. Some might say the Highway One is a better value than the std (especially since the upgrades), and not just a cheaper alternative.

Yeah, at first I wasn't sure about the Greasebucket. I love to tinker and experiment, so I was thinking about rewiring it to make it a conventional tone control. But after using it a little while, it seems like a good thing.

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Busker and OlSkewl, you might already know this. But if you polish up those Highway One's, they'll actually pick up a bit of a shine. Not like the poly finishes, but enough of one to look like an old, worn-in classic. And the colors you have (red and sunburst) are particularly well-suited for a bit of guitar polish. Gives it a pretty cool look!

13. OlSkewl56

OlSkewl56

May 26, 2007
    South Texas