Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got a Status Empathy!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Jun 14, 2003.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Just arrived today! This is a bad mofo of a bass!

It arrived somewhat road weary, but after gluing the nut on again and reslotting it, polishing the frets with steel wool and a dremel polisher, cleaning the board with alcohol, restringing with Ken Smiths, setting the action and the intonation, replacing the batteries and spraying out the volume pot...

It's a fine, fine bass.

The frets are perfect, there is no buzzing at all. It is really light. It looks incredible.
    I can't wait to practice with it!

http://acfcustom.freeservers.com/photo.html
    for more pics

2. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    [​IMG]

Very Nice! I love the top...Welcome to the world of Status - you may never go back to wooden necks! :D

3. That is a nice looking top. Status does it once again.

Enjoy!

4. When I ordered my Empathy II headless from Status there was a shortage of Amazique, so I had to opt for a quilted maple top. These are great basses; piano-like even tones all the way up to the very top note, just as you would expect from graphite. You're gonna love it - congrats!!!

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    That is nice. I've owned a couple of Status'. Great players.

6. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Hey, no need to tell me about graphite necks, I had 2 Moduli and have a Steinberger. This is the classiest looking bass out of those as well.

7. I have a question. Does it have trussrod ?

8. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I believe the Empathy model was discontinued before Rob began to use truss rods in his necks.
    The newer S-2 model replaced the Empathy and has a truss rod.

9. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    nice Adam! How does it sound vs a Modulus?

10. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Nope, no truss rod. I don't care though, the action is super slick!

The jury's still out on the sound. I played it and it sounded okay, but the batteries were dead and the strings were older, plus it wasn't set up correctly. I'll make sure to review after I play with the band so I get the full story.

The electronics are set up different than I thought: the mid knob is a mid frequency select, not a level. The switch has 3 settings: Boost, flat, cut. This is logical, but the range that the mid will pan to isn't what I'm used to. But like I said, need some more time on it.

The neck isn't Modulus like at all. It is asymetrical with a flattened "D" shape, like a Warwick, but much more manageable.

This bass is a load lighter than the Steinie I just bought and a bit lighter than the Modulus was. If someone thought Modulus were too heavy, I'd suggest one of these as a second choice.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Looks great-I hope it works out Adam! Can't wait to try it ;)

12. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I bought Status Empathy 5 a month a go for US 700, mint condition . Sold it again after a week for US 500. The neck is good and straight , no need for truss rod adjustment. In my place , is not popular, people afraid of what to do when the frets need to be replaced.

13. cool!!!!!

14. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    After some break in time with the strings and some loud playing, I'm ready to give a review on this bass (for anyone who still cares).

So far, this is the best bass I've ever owned. As much as I liked the Modulus, this edges it out slightly in quite a few ways:
    1) 34 vs 35" scale: People are right... the sound of the 35" scale is different than a 34". The strings are at higher tension and they twang more. But they make your hands hurt more (yes, the ladies will tell you, an inch makes a big difference). If your hands fatigue, you could have a great sounding bass and no strength to play it. If you have the right strings (TaperCore Ken Smiths) on a 34", have it set right, and have a graphite neck thru, you will be happy with 34" any day!
    2) Woods: The body of this bass is Amazaque over ash. It is quite an amazing looking bass. That's not to say Modulus doesn't make nice basses, they do! I didn't have one of those though, so I am happier with the look of the natural wood versus the stained wood color. In addition, though, Status uses different layers and more variations, which as far as I know, boosted some of the harmonics.
    3) Headstock: It's smaller and built flat. It fits into a case well, it doesn't weigh down the bass, and it is still big enough to not look freaky.
    4) Electronics: The switch is nice because I can instantly select from 3 different types of tone. The controls are a bit touchy, but you get used to it. What's nice is when the treble is down, it sounds more like a bass with the tone knob rolled off than something with a deadened treble control. The Mid is a freq select, not a level, which makes more sense if you cut it anyway and are searching for an ideal freq for your particular amp, room, volume, etc. The bass can make people run to the toilets, but can also trash a 15 pretty quickly, so it requires delicacy.
    The output, by the way, is insane! You have to wrangle the bass before going to any high volume because it will easily clip a preamp.

Basically, it's got the sounds I like in one package. It looks amazing. It feels amazing. It's light, so I can play it for hours. It is something most people have never seen or played, maybe never even heard of, so there is a feeling of superiority that comes with it (at least for a jerk like me). When you hear/play it, you wonder why they are so rare here in the states. I give a huge thumbs up to the Status Graphite crew, they know their stuff.

Justice4trance likes this.