1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I got a steal of a deal!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trjazzluva05, Aug 9, 2012.

1. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Jul 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey everybody....just wanted to share my good fortune with the Talkbass family. I went into a local music store to by some strings and like most bass players you find your way over to the basses and amps. So ran into a used Peavey Cirrus BXP for $200!!! So i picked it up and put it through a GK MBFusion/Neo 410 rig...sounded pretty good!!! Switched to an MB800...sounded even better. Then lastly i tried it through Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0/Hartke 115 just for kicks and i sounded great as well. given it had a couple of dings but nothing major, what i was surprised about was the sound!!! Sounded darn near identical to a US Peavey Cirrus!!! I've played a Cirrus before and always loved the tone. Although the strings were super dead it still sounded good...also super quiet. Once i put some DR High Beams and clean the frets and fretboard, on it's going to sound even better!!! In a nutshell, bought it on the spot!!!

2. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    $200 is a great price for that bass. You should post photos.

3. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    200 is a great deal. I got mine for 300. The preamp is good, but it hisses a bit much for me, I've been thinking about putting a US made preamp in it

4. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    No pics, no deal.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No you didn't.

6. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Jul 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Ok correction guys.....didn't have all the money so i put the 100 dollars cash i had on me on it and i'm paying the rest on payday. once i get it i will post photos!!!! Oh yeah i forgot to mention it's the 5-string version.

7. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    Nice score.

Don't ferget tha pics, please,

Tabdog

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    5 STRING? Oh man. And just when I had dismissed you as one more 4 banger buyer going on and on without pictures...yada yada, YOU have to say 5 string and give me GAS!

9. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Congrats, you got a deal!

10. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    One thing that boogles my mind, or what's left of it. Why did they do string through on the offshore Cirrus but not the USA? And the offshore has an almost 2 tek bridge? WT heck?

Talk to me. I'm wondering about this.

11. +1

12. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I expect they do string through on the BXP because it's cheaper. Those individual "finger style" bridges are in no way even close to being a 2Tek bridge.

13. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Payday YET?

14. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Jul 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes payday is here and I went to pick it up.....It's a killin' bass for $200!!!! Just have to set it up to really low action and work on the intonation, after the 12th it's jacked up. Also over time I'll switch out the stock pre for an Aguilar OBP-3, put some Dunlop strap locks and some Hipshot Ultralites and it will be a beast!!!!

image-3267839155.

image-436960427.

15. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Whoa! That's cooooolll.

Not my style at all but damn, very very cool man.

16. Wow, great deal! The pics look great as well.

17. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    WOW!! For $200 you done GOOD!

18. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Where was it made? The back of the headstock should tell you.

19. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Jul 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah its a pretty good deal for a 5 string until i save up and get the axe i really want. i've been rocking a Marcus Miller Jazz Bass exclusively for the past 2 years, so it's good to have a five string for the gospel and R&B gigs i do again. By the way its puts my MM Jazz bass to shame, being that is completely silent in terms of pickups and electronics!!!

20. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Jul 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    It's made in good ol' Indonesia, another reason why it made the deal even more sweeter!!!