i got a tweed bass case. what’s anyone’s experience with them?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by bon viesta, Dec 26, 2021.

1. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    for christmas yesterday, my dad gave me a fender tweed case by g&g. i was scared when i saw the huge wrapped box!

anyways, even though i wish i had gotten the black tolex case with red interiors, this one is still super awesome. and probably even more durable with tolex being replaced by cotton tweed.

so what’s everyone’s experience with these cases? do they last ages if you don’t through them down the middle of a stair well? though, i WANT some dirt and staining or otherwise use to be very prominent on the case after keeping and using it for a while.

also, is that tweed at all resistant to the rain? i know they mold easily, and get dirty easily (awesome) but i’m wondering what’ll happen if i need to go somewhere and it happens to be raining.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
    Jughead6 likes this.
  2. forrestlaw

forrestlaw Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    I had a G&G tweed case a while ago for a Tele I owned at one point. It was great. The hardware and sturdiness is noticeably better than the standard Fender wood cases. I think a little rain should be ok as long as it airs out afterwards, but leaving it in a torrential downpour for a long time or submersing it in a pool is probably a bad idea. I never had an issue with mold or anything like that, but my case was also not heavily used in the years I owned that guitar.

In fact I just bought another Tele yesterday and once my 30 day return window is up and I decide for sure that I'll keep it I'm def going to buy another G&G case. I messed around with about 6 different cases at the shop and the G&G was the best by far, but the newer Fender molded plastic cases are really nice as well.

I've never owned one for my basses, but I imagine it would be a similar experience. I will say that I do have the standard Fender wood case for my Vintera Mustang bass and it's just OK. I would have bought a G&G if it were an option.

kesslari and bon viesta like this.
  3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa
    My Fender Jazz 24 sits in one of those, and it is a quality case. Congrats!

bon viesta likes this.
  4. have had one that came with a Carvin bass I ordered in 1997. Still looks good, and no problems so far. It was made by C & G, which I am not sure if they are still around. My Fenders (and other vintage designs) look good in it. It has a small blemish or two but the case is rugged and handsome. Of course I do baby my gear.

5. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    I have this same case. Looks retro cool and is heavy compared to the modern lighter weight cases

6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I hear Robin rocks them.

7. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    If you've got a hair dryer or a space heater, that takes care of the rain concern!

Tweed can take occasional hard corners bumping it a lot, lot better than tolex can. You can't really put stickers on it, but that's where the dirt retention comes in; put it in the corner of a dirty green room a few times and it'll have stories to tell.

(jk about the dryer/heater....unless you've got a ventilated space and a timer heh)

8. I love them for the vintage vibe for sure. Unfortunately our new kittens like them too.

Real Soon likes this.
  9. Donger

Donger

Apr 28, 2020
    HOLA! I have a brand new black G&G Fender case specific to Mustang basses, and I wanna trade it for a TWEED short-scale case. Who prefers black for a swap. If yours is beat up, I still may consider it. NO Jazz/Precision cases; shortscale only thanks!

10. Donger

Donger

Apr 28, 2020