Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got a wedgie today...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JPJ, Sep 7, 2004.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Well...sorta'. I got a couple, in fact. I noticed the review of the new "wedgie" picks in the latest issue of Bass Player and thought that they sounded like a great idea. There are many times when I'm playing that I wish that I could have picklike quickness and precision but while retaining a "fingerstyle" tone. I haven't had a chance to give these a try yet, but I'll keep you posted on what I think once I do. :bassist:

2. I dunno, they're in really heavy gauges (which is to be expected with rubber or whatever they're made from). I like a .8mm or so pick and I don't know how I'd handle the switch. Still, it's a good idea.

3. ...?
    review coming?
    :)

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for reminding me, BZ! ;)

I was actually quite impressed with the range of picks and their usefulness. They're easy to hold, and when just played solo, they do still deliver a pick-type tone, but it is more rounded and warm. There's still a bit of "pick edge" to the attack, but you don't have the sharp, zingy, treble cut that you get with a synthetic, traditional pick. When used in a band setting, though, this slight pick edge tends to disappear and the wedgies deliver more of a stacatto, fingerstyle tone....essentially what they claim to be able to do.

As with the BP review, though, they do take some time to get used to. The rubber material, while it comes in different thicknesses and is more or less rigid (depending on the pick style), is still somewhat tacky. In otherwords, the feel of the pick isn't a frictionless glide across the strings. I haven't been able to accurately and consistently mimic my own fingerstyle speed with wedgies, but I'd guess that this would probably come with practice and familiarity. Nevertheless, they do certainly give bass players a new tool and they do deliver a different tone than you could achieve with a felt pick, with your fingers, or with a conventional plactic pick. If you're looking for something different, it would probably be worth checking out.

5. Thanks so much!

Did you compare/contrast wedgie picks of differing softness/hardness and thickness?

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Yep...sure did. I thought that the most usable versions were the thinest gauge, both soft and firm. The picks became more uncomfortable and more difficult to use effectively as the thickness and ridigity of the rubber increased. Keep in mind, though, that even the thin wedgies are still pretty thick for a pick, so the really thick ones are pretty substantial. However, if you're a punk guy who just hammers away with downstrokes, the thicker wedgies might be OK. I prefered the thinner, more flexable ones, though.

7. when you said "i got a wedgie today" i thought you were gonna say the school yard bully snuck up behind you and gave you an atomic :meh: ...ahh well :D .you see..us aussies are always 1-3 months behind on the bass player mag

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I, too, have picked up some Wedgie Rubbers. :D I placed an order with Musician's Friend, and was getting free shipping, anyway, so I went ahead and order the six available varieties. So far, I really like the way they sound, and they certainly offer another option from fingers, and plastic/foam picks.

My favorites are the thin heavy gauge, and the thick lighter gauges, depending on the bass and string. I've found I can get an agressive tone with Jazz Flats on my Curbow that is very PBass-like without the usual pick attack sound.

I've been taking a couple of Wedgies to gigs with me, and tend to play about 30 minutes with one over the course of an evening. Their added thickness over normal picks takes a little getting used to, but overall I think they are much more than a gimmick, and add a new tone texture. :bassist:

Of course, after 30 minutes with my TI Superalloys, my Bongo did have a nice collection of rubber shrapnel. :D

9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm going to have to try one of these. I'm 100% a finger player, but right now I'm in the middle of a 2 week hiatus from playing because of tendonitis in my plucking hand/wrist. Yes, I stretch before every practice session and wear my bass at the proper height. It's just from plain old overuse. Maybe learning how to pick (I've been playing for 3 years and suck at picking) will help alleviate some of this pain.

I've tried felt picks and 3.0 mm picks before. Nothing comes close to the mellowness or expressiveness of fingers. The tone's just too harsh.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hypothetical here:

Let's pretend I play metal, and I play with anywhere from a medium touch to digging in like a nu-metal kid on crack. And, as long as we're just going wild here, let's imagine I tend to like the 1.0mm and 1.14mm picks, which gauge/variety would you guys reccomend?

I like a stiff pick (just one letter out...), and don't like even the medium gauges, as they have far too much flex for my liking. Which ones would should I give a shot?

11. sorta off topic:

anyone tried one of those jellyfish picks on bass yet?

12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Brandan,
    If I were to hypothetically recommend a Wedgie to someone who might be in a similar situation, I suppose I would recommend the fattie....the thickest pick that they offer. It's freakin' huge! :D That might work for you, but I'm not sure what kind of speed you'd get out of it. Would probably be worth a try......for someone who might be in that situation, that is. :smug:

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'd have to agree with JPJ. OTOH, the fatty is still nothing like a regular heavy pick. I've found that I can get some acceptable speed with the rubber picks, but when you start to go faster, it starts to sound more like a regular pick. So, in those cases, I'd probably use a regular pick since the rubber will start to fly. :bag:

EDIT:

Regular pick

Regular pick

Regular pick

I felt I repeated it enough in my original response, I should just go ahead and be obvious. :ninja:

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ah. Just as well, then. Last thing I need is to vacuum rubber shrapnel out of my carpet after a couple hours of practice.

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I actually looked. :scowl:

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I see you. ;)

17. I ordered up some sets of the medium and heavier/more rigid ones to try them out. I thought the thickest/most rigid one was the most usable, and the thinner/softer ones were too sloppy (i.e. "why bother?"). It's not really a replacement for a regular pick, like some folks use in say metal or whatever.

To me the wedgies give an almost finger-like sound--basically nothing really new/different. Fun to check out, maybe I'll give them a more serious try on something in the future, but I didn't find them to be essential right now.