1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I got a weird one y’all...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jackn1202, Oct 15, 2019.

1. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    I want to run my rig out of the back of my car.

I have a TC Electronics RH450 running into an Ashdown 410. I think the cab is 8 ohms, I’ll need to check when I get home. The head is plugged into a power conditioner, along with my small pedal chain and a rack tuner. I’d like to be able to plug this whole thing into my cigarette lighter. I talked to some experts at work, and they seemed to find it feasible, but it’s hard to talk for very long to them because they’re very busy people.

For what it’s worth, my car is a 2011 Volkswagen Golf GTI. It has a cigarette lighter in the trunk, and I’m always annoyed at not having power at times when I want to play, plus I can use the thing as a sound system for parties. That’s the goal here.

Anybody seeing my amp explode? Or my car start smoking? Or could this work? I know I need a power inverted rated high enough to handle my head, and that I’ll need to leave the car running while using it (duh), but that’s about all I know so far.

Any help from y’all?

2. You want to use a 1.6l petrol powered generator to run an inverter at 12v to run a bass amp. That's just nuts.

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    How much current does the amp draw? How much current does the pedal board draw? How much are you willing to spend on the inverter? How much carbon monoxide are you willing to inhale?

4. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    I used one of those power inverters camping one time to plug a coffee maker into it. It didn't work. I was able to run an old timey cassette radio player but that's about it.

5. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Cool. Wanna tell me why or just tell me I’m crazy?

And if you gotta be a snob, it’s a 2 liter turbo bud...

6. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    These are the important questions. I’ll be able to answer them here in an hour or two once I get home.

7. Once you size it all up you will see. Don't forget to check the fuse rating on the boot lighter socket.

BooDoggie, lug, CatchaCuda and 2 others like this.
  8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I think he referred to it as... weird. Lol!

9. It's like asking how high should you swing your sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

10. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Now that’s helpful. Will do! :thumbsup:

11. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I'm not that slick with the power consumption/demand and conversion; or experience with non-traditional power sources.

I do know (or at least want to think I know) that a car can supply like 12 amps. That isn't really tons of available current. Thinking that it might not be cheap, though, to use your car as generator power for a full-on bass rig or party-music power supply through the lighter connection.

Car audio amps are designed for such a thing, and do well full range. Maybe finding a way to rig up through purpose built mobile audio electronics and skipping the bass amp and pedal board may be less expensive and safer? Sure the 410 will be better than any car-speakers for such; but the amplifier and etc may be best left to amps and eq designed to work with the vehicle's power supply.

Hopefully someone a bit more experienced or knowledgeable can help.

Good luck.

Skillet and jackn1202 like this.
  12. LowFactor

LowFactor

Jul 6, 2018
    Nashville
    Looks like the rated standard for those cigarette lighter plugs is about 180 watts. So about 1.5 amps. Probably not enough for what you want to do. You can get a bigger inverter, tripplite has them up to 6000w but they will need to be wired into your cars electrical system/ battery.

13. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    There's your answer OP. The draw on that amp at 25% power is about 1.4 amps (based on the published spec - 85W at 1/8 power @ 120V). Turn up the amp more than a quarter of the way, pound a low E - you're out of juice and will likely blow the fuse quickly.

If you don't want to lay out cash for an inverter, I recommend buying 100' 12ga extension cord and sticking that in your trunk.

14. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Okay actually we’re on to something. How difficult do you think it would be to wire in the inverter? I can’t think of another possible use for the cigarette lighter in my trunk.

15. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Unless inverters are stupid expensive, I think this is the way

16. LowFactor

LowFactor

Jul 6, 2018
    Nashville
    Not up on my car wiring but would have to run two a positive and a negative cable to the battery. Fuse on the positive to protect the inverter. Size of the fuse would depend on the inverter. Wouldn’t think it terribly difficult other than fishing the lines from the trunk to wherever the battery is.

17. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    You'd want to wire an inverter to the battery directly, with its own fusing (or to a second battery you install). This isn't trivial.

Your lighter socket won't last long if you draw more than 10 amps for any length of time.

A small Honda generator would fit nicely in the trunk and do what you need. :thumbsup:

18. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Be very careful with inverters and even generators. Many times they have a modified sine wave output and can damage sensitive electronics. So don't skimp on the set up.

oerk, john m, 2tonic and 2 others like this.
  19. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Second that Honda generator. About the size of a suitcase, it’ll easily deliver 15 amps at 120v.

Plus you can use it for so much more. We drag them around jobsites to run heavy tools that would blow 15 amp fuses on a long extension cord.

Up to the roof, down in the holes, they are excellent machines.

What you are trying to do is a recipe for blown fuses, burnt wires and a dead battery. A long walk home.

You need RV style power supplies to do what you are asking. And they all run shore power if it’s an option. On your mega yacht it’s no problem, the rabbit, it not likely.

Jim Carr and MattZilla like this.
  20. Seriously, if you plan to play loud, or for any length of time and keep the car running, skip the inverter and just buy a generator. I recommend an inverter style and the Honda is quality but expensive.
    Realistically you will get about a hundred watts continuosly out of a lighter socket, and you could probably do it for an hour or so without the car on and still start it so if you don't need to play loud or long you could get away with it.