Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got a Wishbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Oct 1, 2003.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    So I just bought a Wishbass. A "Motley Sam" with the body made up of several different pieces of wood. Looks like Eddie van Halen's 5150 guitar (remember those) but the stripes are made by contrasting colors of natural wood. Kind of cool to look at. I thought I would post my thoughts about the instrument in case anyone is interested and/or considering buying a Wishbass.

I paid $300 for the bass sight unseen (well, actually wish sent me pics of the bass unstrung and without electronics) as it has a lacquer finish and the Motley design. I had the bass for about 2 weeks during which time I got used to it, playing it only through a headphone amp. Monday night I played it amplified in the rehearsal studio with band for the first time and was for lack of better words, blown away.

The bass has a very unique tone and feel. Really full bodied and "woody". It's quite growly too (lots of Mwah! as they say) and you can get all sorts of different tones from playing at different points on the strings. In that sense, and with its very thick neck, it has the best aspects of upright bass and electric bass.

While the bass has its certain "rustic" characteristics such as the brushed lacquer finish, the nail head dot markers (some may call these flaws), and you cannot adjust the strings or truss rod (there is none) it has some cool features. I particularly like the open headstock, and the neck ranges 2 and 1/2 octaves, which are pretty well playable! And this is some solid construction folks. The neck feels indestructable and the bass makes so much sound unplugged that you would forget that it's an electric. And man do those harmonics sing!

Negatives-- in all honesty I am concerned about the lack of truss rod and would probably get one in my next wish just for insurance purposes. Then again, I owned and giged heavily on a Steinberger for years-- great bass and it too had no truss rod. Also, I think Wish should consider building and offering a non-metal bridge that is adjustable, even if it only moves up and down slightly like that on an upright bass.

But to make a long story short, this is a very cool and different bass and I am very happy I bought it. A few other bass players were around at the studio Monday-- they also checked it out and thought it was pretty awesome. I am not a gear snob but I am fortunate to own a few good basses (including a Musicman Stingray 4, Fodera Emperor, G&L 2000, Hartfield 6-string, Yamaha BB-5000F) and I have to say the WIshbass has immediately become one of my favorites. I have certainly never played or heard anything like it in my life. While I have read varying opintions about them on TB (mostly negative) I have to say that I am of the opinion that Wish offers something that no else does, especially at the =<$300 pricepoint. In fact, as soon as I have another $300 to part with I am going back to him for another model to add to my collection.

I saw a thread floating around recently suggesting some members chip in to buy a Wishbass and give it a full on review. I think this is a terrific idea. In fact there is a Cherry Wood Sam on ebay with a BIN of only $200 if this idea is still in play. For that little scratch, you will not be disappointed, and I dare say you will be pleasantly surprised by it.

2. Congrats on the new bass. Post a picture and share it with us!

;) Treena

3. glad you like it...

I'm interested in pics!:)

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd definitely be interested in seeing a picture of this - what you describe definitely sounds interesting :)

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'll buy your Fodera for $600... You'll be able to get two of them..

:)

6. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Here is a pic of the bass in the shop (without pickups, etc.)

7. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    And here is one of the bass strung up and being played.

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thats the nicest wish i've ever seen!

9. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Thanks. Like I said I am genuinely enjoying it-- for its character and for its performance. Wish is also a really great guy.

Maybe I should take the $600 for my Fodera and buy 2 more...Nah!

10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    roger, the "buy a wish" thread on TB has already run it's course as far as I am concerned. Several of us TB'ers chipped in for one and passed it around the country. I believe teh bass is still making its rounds actually.
    This is the first review I think I have heard with such a positive light on it. It is good to see that there are good-sound playable wish's out there. Personally I woudl never buy a wood bass with no trussrod, because I live in a very dry climate, and having no action adjustments would probably annoy me a little.

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Just let me know when you're ready!

;) :p

12. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Every time I hear about someone loving their $300 Wishbass, it really makes me want to get one. I mean, $300... it's not very much of an investment, and they don't seem too bad. A little while ago someone who had just got a Wishbass posted a soundclip, and the thing sounded fantastic!

13. man that thing is like an orgy of wood! conklin melted top eat your heart out! :spit: :D

14. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I went fishing all around the old threads for that wishbass soundfile but couldn't find it. :bawl:

Anyone remember where it was posted? Anyone download a copy that they could post. I am curious to hear it.

Thanks.:bassist:

15. heh heh, you have seen mine!:D

it does have some action issues though, I am going to install an indi bridge system on her sometime ion the future, I own 3 others and they all play and sound phenominal!

I love the sound and the fat neck makes for effortless, tireless playing

16. in my opinion , worth every penny. the fancy one, has a Carvin MM style humbucker and a Carvin Jazz . tone for ever!

17. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

18. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    those both look pretty nice.
    I made a recording of the TB Wishbass, and posted a bunch of pics; let's just say it didn't look quite as good as these! He must have improved since this one was built.

I don't know if this is the clip referred to or not, but here's the TB Wish:
    wishy clip

It will be shipping out to Connie as soon as I'm over this flu and can find a box! They are hard to come by in this town, all the stores throw them out right away... :-(

19. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Nice wishes. Could you give me the specs-- wood, etc. I want my next wish to be a peanut, and I love yours. Please share.

20. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Seems like Mr. Wishnevsky is starting to carve out his own little niche. His work has definitely improved since the early stuff I saw on Ebay last year. Seems he's responded to some of his customer criticism.
    I just wish he'd use some proper jigs for his pickup routs. I've considered ordering one of his basses unfinished and with no pickup or control cavity routs, and getting those done locally.

That sound clip doesn't sound half bad... a decent amount of mwah and growl there.

Russ :bassist: