I got a woody!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mongeaux, May 20, 2004.

1. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Today ups delivered my Allen Woody epiphone that I ordered from Musicians Friend. When the ups man left the box it was so light I thought hey!, this box is not heavy enough to have a bass inside. Well there was a bass in there and here is what I think of it so far.

#1 The finish on this bass is perfect. Not a flaw to be found. Its funny that the last instrument I bought was a real Gibson, not an Epi knock off, and it cost over two times as this Epi much and had all sorts of flaws.

#2 The bridge.
    Good god almighty what were the guys who designed this bridge smoking? The bridge is a three point system which sadly does not allow you to adjust each string individually. Think of the way you adjust the action on a Gibson tune-o-matic type bridge and you will get the picture.

I had read on the boards that this bridge is prone to pulling out of the top of the bass. Indeed it is! Right out of the box both sides of my bridge were already half way out of their holes. After freaking out for a few min I went and got some super glue and glued the posts into the body. It seems to be fine now.

#3 Action.
    I am used to a Jazz bass where I can lower the strings till they bottom out if I want to. No can do on this bass. I lowered the strings as far as they can go and the action is still a lil high for my taste. Its not so bad I can't adjust but it just seems wrong that I can't make it go lower. I might have somebody take a look at the nut. It feels a lil a bit stiffer that my jazz bass down low, of course my jazz had a really great set up man work on it. To bad I moved to another state.

#4 Tone.
    The tone of this bass is the main reason I don't send it back. I was quite PO'ed about the bridge. I got a set of short scale TI flats 106-43 and put em on and man do they sound good on this bass. Very fat and old school sounding. Blues tone out the wazu. This bass will also work for my jazz gigs. Using my thumb I am getting sounds that could be mistaken for an upright by a non bass player. Heck even some bass players might mistake it. So far I have tried the bass with picks, fingers and thumb. I expect I will be thumbing this bass most of the time. If you like lots of different sounds you will not like this bass. It does one sound pretty much but it does it very well.

#5 The neck
    The neck on this bass is 1.52" at the nut. The neck is not to thin but not P bass fat either. I find it comfortable. The scale is 30" which I guess explains why the short scale TI flats have such an odd gage. 106-43! Pretty wired. No doubt the odd gage is to compensate for the low E sounding weak which seems to be a common short scale problem. The E on this bass sounds just fine. Frets are in good shape, all seated well and no sharp edges.

#6 Electronics
    The bass has two mini humbuckers. Very quiet. No noise at all. They sound good imo and I don't see myself having the to look for aftermarket replacements. Only thing I would want to add is a toggle switch. As it is you just have two vol and a tone knob.

I think once I get the nut looked at and or adjust to slightly higher action I will get a lot of mileage out of this bass. If nothing else my back will thank me, this bugger is very comfortable when played standing up. If you don't mind having to glue in your bridge posts I think its worth the $479

Link to picks
  2. The original BadAss bridge (NOT the BAII) was designed specifically to replace these idiotic Gibson floaters. You should do this. My guess is that it won't affect tone at all.
  3. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Thx for the tip. I will read up on em
  4. It's just such a beatiful looking bass. For the price, I would definitely pick one up at some point. I don't mind the action being a little high. My Jazz bass action is a little on the high side (maybe a bit too high), But if nothing else, it's great exercise for my fingers. The action on my T-bird is a low for my taste, but super quick. At some point, I'd like to try one of these. Never tried any short scale before. Allen Woody was a big MF too! :D
  5. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    "Allen Woody was a big MF too!"

Yea, whats up with that. You would think the only guys who would want to play short scale basses would be lil shrimps.....

yes, I am a shrimp. I feel better for saying that....I do.....kinda...... :eyebrow:
  6. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    nice review. I've had a woody for 2 months now. I agree on the finish--these things are gorgeous! I have not changed anything on mine so far--the set up was fine when i got mine--action was fine-no problems w/ the bridge. mine came w/ very light gauge round-wounds--yes the e is a little anemic, but overall I like the feel and tone--I also wind up playing w/ my thumb more--almost in a "fingerplucking" style. If I only owned 1 bass, it wouldn't be a woody-but it's great fun and distinctive and definitely a good value IMHO
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    this epi is one of the basses i would love to try.

have you seen that gov't mule deppest end DVD? there is the GREAT Will Lee playing one with a KILLER TONE.
  8. victobass

Nov 27, 2003
    Today my Woody will go on it's first gig. I'll pull it out to play Sco-mule and some blues-rock songs. I played it at rehearsal last night and it played and sounded great. It has 5+ month old D'addario Chromes on it and it sounds sweet. When I first got it last December it had 45-105 Epiphone rounds on it and I hated the sound. The Chromes made a huge difference! I'm tempted to try the TI Jazz Flats, but I prefer a tight string tension.
    Sorry to hear that you received your Woody in a less than satisfactory condition. I bought mine from Sam Ash and it was almost perfect(I raised the action a little). I've bought instruments from MF before and never had a problem.
  9. I must say, that's one of the best DVD's I've ever purchased. Rising Low is pretty cool too, about Allen Woody and about the making of the Deep End project. I think I'll get my local music store to order one in, if nothing else but to try it out, and look at it and touch it and hold it and... :bassist: