Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i got a ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Dec 24, 2001.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    ok, i have read alot about basses with mm pickups and people say theyre "not close to the stingray sound"... ive been wanting a custom bass for a while.. and i really like the stingray sound, so, if i had a bass built and had the picup put in the same spot as on a stingray, would it sound close?

sorry if this is a stupid question... but just soemthing im wondering

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    probably not. For sum reason nothing really sounds much like stingray, without getting the real thing, everyones after that stingray tone, but i guess you'll just have to shell out and buy the real thing. I guess theroetically if u were gonna build one you could get the basslines pickup, and all the same woods and demsensions as the real thing. That'd probably end up being more expensive though so its up to u.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There is a thread on this down in the Pickups forum. It's pretty old, but a Search should turn it up.

I believe that the general consensus was that the Basslines is more MM sounding than any of the Barts, which are more refined or polite sounding.

I am curious regarding an EMG MM style, if they even make one, maybe the EMG tone would come a little closer than the Basslines? Also, Kent Armstrong makes a MM style pickup, but I have never run across anyone who has played one, so I have no idea what they sound like.

4. During rehearsal last sunday, i visited one of the other bands that play in the same building. the bassplayer of one of the bands had an OLP stingray, with a Bart. in it.. that thing sounded real (!) cool..