1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I got about 500-600 bucks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danstefl, Mar 30, 2009.

1. I play a 5 string ESP LTD D5. I currently play on a behringer 450 watt combo amp with 2 10". The orignal cones were pulled and replaced with Eminence speakers.

I ghettofied it and am runnning a 12" GK Backline 12" combo amp for the low end. i play in 3 different bands. Focus on alot of metal, rock, older rock like MEtallica and stuff and softer stuff like STP and whatnot. The bands i play in are Bass Driven, i drive most of the grooves and provide alot of the sound since the other guitarist sucks and I carry him.

anyway, I want to invest in a good cab. I was given a GK 800RB head that has no output signal so I am having it repaired by GK. I want to get a cab that will not only work well with the head but really drive my sound and be able to handle me playing the crap out of it.

I play with 2 other guitarist who use a Marshall half stack (full stack at shows) and a Hartke half stack with an additional 12".

Help me oh wise bass players - what should I get?

2. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    500-600 will get you a long way in the used market. The 800RB is also a powerful and versatile amp (with the bi-amp feature). It really depends on what kind of tone you prefer.

Myself, I'm really not in a quest for clarity or full range, even when I play modern stuff: the GK is hi-fi enough when you cut the boost that I can get away with no tweeters and using a big ole Peavey 215. With the high-boost on, I always find I have too much sparkle, even without a tweeter.

If you want more sparkle, you can always go the 212 (or 215) way and get a bright box (something like 2 6" drivers and a tweeter) to hook up on the "high" side of your amp. The 410+115 combo is a time honored favourite, but mixing mismatched drivers always lead to comb filtering issues and what not, so I never bothered with them.

Avatars are all the rage around here and are pretty cheap. I've never tried one, but you might want to look into it.

And if your guitarist sucks, please tell him not to bring the Marshall full stack next show. That's probably the most surefire way to not get called back, having the crappy rythmn guitarist at full blast. I've had this problem in the past and even slipped a soundguy a few bucks to cut a guy out from the mix once (he was eye candy for the ladies and sang well, but his guitar skills were... yeah).

3. Martizmo

Martizmo

Mar 26, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    1st question. What are you willing to carry weightwise
    2nd question. What kind of transportation.

I had a 400RB and would run with nothing less then a 4-10 bottom 8ohms. I would imagine the 800 would blow up anything less.

If I were you I would get a 2x15" or an 8x10". No need for tweeders or bi amping unless your into jazz or slap/tap.

4. I am willing to carry anything that sounds good. i will dte a fat girl if she is the one for me, weight is not an issue.

Currently I drive a 4 door 2004 Grand Prix GT. Alot of room inside, had a Line6 Half stack and amp in my back seat upright before.

I don't slap and I don't tap but I do like to hear some higher end tones when playing. I will switch from mids to no mids depending on the song. Sometimes I carry the guitairst though and really drive the song so im looking for the most bang for my buck. I'm young buck (29) play loud, play hard and play metal, rock, classic rock, iron maiden, new rock, nu metal and then i will sit and play some melodies with harmonics, I really am all over the board on what I play.

Weight - not an issue

I also don't want to get something that is more than what I "need". I would like to be able to leave the band I am in and play with alomst any other band and not cringe when I walk in for a practice or try out because i have crap equipment. I have the Behringer 450 watt 2x10 combo currently but since the 800 RB head was given to me I figured I might as well fix it and expand! Keep the Behringer as back up.

5. My sound guy is good at cutting down the guitar sound so it blends and doesn't stand out. that way when he jacks up a rythm I am there to cover it while he just sings.

sounds like you know the head I am refering to. I see people asking if it is a new or an older and to check the serial #'s and so on and so forth but what is the reason behind that?

6. nothumb

nothumb

Sep 20, 2006
    NYC
    definitely go used. i would look for a 4 ohm 6x10 or 2x15 with two inputs and try to pick up a cheap 8 ohm extension cab for the high side with any leftover dough.

if you live somewhere with a good craigslist / used market you can often find big 2x15s or 4x12s or 6x10s, etc, that people are just trying to get rid of due to their size. in one extreme example i got my mesa powerhouse 1200 for $400 from a guy who just didn't want to lug it around anymore. you'd be lucky to find a deal that good but you CAN find old peavey, SWR, and similar stuff for pennies on the dollar.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I don't know about specific GK models/dates but I will echo what they said about getting a big cab to maximize the sound levels and "oomph" you get out of that amp head. A 2x15 would be a great choice. Though I'm a fan of the 2x12 and 2x15 approach myself, the 4x10, 6x10, and 8x10 formats are classics of rock which have been proven to do the job on stages worldwide, and there are tons of good used ones out there, so your best bang per buck would almost certainly be a used 810 or a pair of 410's. Check the TB classifieds and your local Craigslist. Ampeg, Peavey, Mesa, GK, Genz, all the usual working-man's brands have made solid 410's and 810's.

8. BillyRay

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    My guess is that they are curious about how old their amp is. GK is still producing the 800RB, and altough they have made some changes over the years (number of 1/4" outputs in the back, notably), it is roughly the same thing you could buy in any shop in 1984.

I have a 400RB myself and it doesn't have the bi-amp feature, but I've played with the 800RB enough to know that altough they aren't interchangeable soundwise, they use the same tonestack and what flies with one will work with the other.

If you like to cut your mids, the mid-cut button will be your friend. It makes a good notch, but it really sweetens the tone for songs that need it (ballads, 80's rock, etc.). I would really go with a 215 if I were you. They really sing when pushed by these old GK with the boost at a generous setting. You won't regret it, especially if heavy does not bother you. Heavy, good sounding and used go pretty much hand-in-hand when it comes to such big cabs. Two 1x15 enclosures would also work well, but they usually retain their value better on the market due to portability. I've seen 215 going for 30$-80$ more than their 115 counterpart. With casters and another guy, hauling is usually easier than a single 115 or 410.

I really recommend Black Widow loaded speakers. They are surprisingly sparkly/spunky with the right EQ and bass.

9. I hear alot about the Black Widow speakers. on my local craigslist there are a couple Peavy 400+ watt 1x15 combo's and I think one is around the $700 mark which made me gasp for air.

I'm guessing alot of it falls on what my ear likes too. There are times I will go from playing Korn to 2 minutes to midnight by Iron Maiden or Rearview Mirror. I'm worried that my drastic changes in music that one of the styles will have to pay a small price for the speakers I end up getting.

Is it true that for a more of a "tight" punch 10's are the way to go, with a 12 or 15 for the low end? then for the heavy bass the larger speakers (12's and 15's) are wise due to their ability to really belt out the low end and sustain...true correct?

I guess my problem is I havent been playing long enough to educate myself on all of this and am progressing faster than I can learn about everything else. not a bad thing but it get's frustrating, very frustrating.

Do some people use the stack of 10's for cosmetic reasons or are their tell tale benefits from a stack of 10's as opposed to 12's or 15's? This is where I start to tail off on knowledge and start looking for opinions. And why do I have this underlying eeling that a stack running off a 300 watt head will sound better than 2 10's running of 450 watts...ah if I could just understand!

10. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009

** :D

11. BillyRay

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I picked up my Peavey 215 for 200$ Can. You just have to wait. The used market is strange. You either have experienced players/pros who just want their huge rigs out of the door and will ask penny on the dollar or newbies/wannabes that never amounted to anything that will sell their 800$ 5 year old amp 650$ on Craigslist. Usually with a crappy Ibanez bass with the same setup it came out of the box 8 years ago ;)

Tightness/punch is not associated to any driver size. Cab construction (sealed/ported), materials, tweetwers, the quality of the drivers themselves, all amount to much more than the size of the drivers. Some amps use multiple small drivers to attain better low response than big drivers. This is why you don't see anything north of 18" in anything but very costly PA bins or permanent installations.

And to add to the confusion, manufacturers specs are very often snake-oil infused. I always chuckle when I see a cab listed at 102dB efficiency. At what frequency is that ? All over the spectrum ? What ?

This means you have to shop around and listen with your ears, not your eyes.

I also like multiple speakers pushed by less power than a single driver being pushed by a lot of watts. This is usually because an enclosure doesn't increase in volume in a linear way. 50% of its rated power is sometimes as loud (and more pleasing due to less distorsion) as the same speaker on the verge of farting out.

Moral of the story: get something suitable for you that you will enjoy playing with. This will take some shopping around.