Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got an amazing gift...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Jan 29, 2006.

1. an older man who's had some health problems as of late came by to visit me today. I've played oldies (50's styled) and bluegrass with him and everything...so he had a case adn told me he wanted to make an investment into my musical future. He made me promise I'd never quit bass (which I never will I know that) and then gave me this...

A Fender Precision Elite...gold hardware, active pickups, fine tuners, and everything...I've never played a fender like this one before really...it's so great. It has crazy mojo. I'm still very, very wowed by it all....wow.

Attached Files:

2. Allright! that is a very nice gift.

3. Wow man. Treasure that forever. That is a beatuiful bass, and for someone to just give that to you is one of the nicest things possible.

4. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    That gift came to you for all the right reasons. Don't take that lightly. (I don't think you do)

5. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    Now you can never stop playing . Out of gratitude if you ever do give up playing you have to GIVE that bass to another player who will appreciate it like you do . Don't ever sell it ! You'll mess up the karma of that beauty.

6. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Wow, Score ! very very cool. You should do something nice for the dude, even if it's just a little something, to show your gratitude. Somehow saying thank you just isn't enough for a special person like that. Those things are highly regarded and coveted by many players.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  8. +100000000000000 (on and on forever)

Not even for the bass nessicarily, but for the fact of the matter that he would give that to you, out of kindness. You mentioned he was in poor health. Do what you can for him while you still have your chance, and never stop showing your gratidute twards him.

9. WOW!!! what an awesome gift...

that man obviously sees something in you that he hopes you will continue to cultivate.

That is a fine FINE instrument...take good care of it, and play it with pride.

One day, when you're a high-profile artist doing your interview for TB, you can retell the story of how you received this special bass...:)

CONGRATS, MAN!

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    And perhaps when we are all old and retiring we can give a bass to an upcoming musician as well.

11. Indeed if for some reason I ever end up unable to play when I'm old I think I intend on passing this bass on.

I'm going to play any shows he wants me to free of charge I owe him so much...gosh.l

12. steve21

steve21 Banned

What an amazing gift.

That's very cool bro.

13. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    That is really special man,... congrat's, and play it well.

14. That's very nice!

Real special.

Special bass too. Those are rare.

15. Gosh...I'm playing it and there's so much awesome stuff about this bass. Even the knobs are fancy with an F engraved on top of them! Anyone own one of these AWESOME bassses?

16. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Nice, very very nice. Treat it well and cherish the spirit behind such a wonderful gesture.

17. so...I'm kinda clueless when it comes to these basses. anyone have any idea on when they were built (isn't it like...83?) if anyone famous played them, the thoughts of it, why they stopped, etc?

18. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Great bass! I passed on one five or so years ago, and I'm annoyed at myself for missing out...they are gems.

Marshall

19. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    I remember those basses. Way cool!! I've seen a few with a double p pickup config.I think they came out in the early- mid 80s.The fine tuners caught my interest at the time. How are they holdin up for you? Congratulations!!

20. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Very nice of him to give you such a nice bass, congrats. Hopefully his health improves.