Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got an AMPEG SVT 3-Pro and SVT 8x10 YEAH BABY!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GraffixNyc, Apr 16, 2005.

1. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I'm so excited I just bought an Ampeg AVT 3-pro and a SVT 8X10 cab. After shopping around the best I found was $750 for the head (retails for 899) and 850 for the cab (retails for 999) I went to Guitar center and they matched the price that I found it for! AWESOME... I can't wait to go pick it up!

2. Yeah, 8x10! :bassist: Thats gonna be heavy! I hope you don't have to move it up and down stairs a lot. Nice tone from the 3-Pro too, congrats.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I don't believe it until I see pics. Especially with all the Spectors in front of it :p.

Ray:D

4. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    great stuff,but if this is going to be your main rig ,I hope like hell that it will have good caster units on it,because you're going to need it.

5. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    When I get it, I will take pics of it with my 3 spectors in front of it ;)

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Good luck powering the 810 with the pro-3, that thing is pretty weak. Good sound though.

7. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    just make sure your health insurance is topped up!

8. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, The 8x10 is a wonderful sounding cabinet...especially if you have roadies to carry it!!!! I had to slim my rig down from the Ampeg 8x10 to a 4x10 Avatar...it was just too much to lug around and it doesn't fit in my Buick. It sure did blow the roof off clubs all over the country, though!!!!

9. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Buy a SansAmp Bass Driver as soon as you can and you my friend will have one jammin rig! :bassist:

10. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    The Stomp Box or the rack mount? And what does it do exactly?

11. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Personally I like the stomp box version. Mainly because I use my Peavey combo at church and my SVT 3 for other gigs. There's a new version of the BDDI coming out shortly that is programable for 3 different settings, after a few fellow TBers check it out I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading.

As far as what it does, it basically works magic for my tone. It's very tweakable for a variety of sounds. Before I put the Barts and TI jazz flats on my MIM jazz the BDDI made my jazz sound good. Now it sounds great.

Also in a jam, or if you don't want to carry your rig to a gig, you can use the SansAmp to go direct to the board and still tweak you sound. If I could only carry one thing from my gig bag that's what I'd choose. I never play without it.

The other big plus is that it boosts the gain from my jazz going into the SVT 3 giving it plenty of volume. (Lack of volume seems to be the main complaint about SVT 3s. That's not a problem with the BDDI)

So in summary, the SansAmp BDDI is the best money I've spent on bass gear period!

I know some guys will rag on you choice of gear, but my rig is plenty loud enough (I've played outside in a big tent and I was told that people heard me just fine about 60 - 75 yards away) and sounds great. Experiment with your equalizer and the BDDI until you find your tone. I'm sure you will. :cool:

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Here's another thought. When I got my SVT3 Pro that's when I decided to get rid of my Sans Amp BDDI. Why bother with "tube emulation" when you have the real thing?

I like the tone a lot from my SVT3 Pro as is and wouldn't want to mess it up with the Sans Amp unless you are going to use it as an effect for some real gritty sounds.

Try before you buy, and the Sans Amp may be a good combo for you, but my first impression is that you may end up with a lot of mud. The way to fix the "volume thing" on the SVT3 Pro is to use the boost on the graphic EQ. It has a lot of range and you'll get a lot more volume when you use it.

I engage the EQ with a Crate footswith when I want a bit of boost.

13. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    My thoughts exaclty. I've been contemplating getting a Sans Amp BDDI but question what it can do as I already have a SVT3. I use a BOSS ME-50b that can emulate SansAmp distortion.

As my live chores include slecting patches on the ME-50b adjustments to my NE-1 parametric EQ and AKAI Deep Impact, as well as running sequnces, Tarus type foot pedals,and second keyboards, I have to consider what benfits another box will bring...with my exisiting set up, I don't see any.

14. +1 No need for tube emulation now you've got real tubes. Forget the Sansamp.

15. Nah...get the Sansamp.