1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I got another one...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ron Now, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I picked up my new (used) Hughes and Kettner Replex delay/reverb today.

I got a great deal on it from my local guitar shop. and thus far I am extremely happy.

It is the older model before they put the blue light in that little logo window (still has the window, just no blue light).

The sound is very musical and smooth much warmer than my other delays (Boss DD-20 and Digitech Digidelay) The reverb could use some more echo to it, but for my aplications it will do plenty fine (I use more reverb on guitar more anyways) The single and dual head setting on the unit sound great. There is alot of control over each one (not quite as specific as the DD-20's digital screen) but you can get more hands on with physical pots over the digital ones of the DD-20.

After A B C'ing all my delays together I found that the replex has a more musical smooth delay the notes flow together producing a wave of sound (In a good way). It can also produce the sharp repeats like a normal digital delay but influencing the tube produces a much more round/verstitle tone.

My only complaints are the switching system is a little wierd there are four footswitch buttom but they are all single click, you need to click another switch before the current selection will turn off (example, you have dual head mode on, to turn off the bypass button needs to be hit, not just tapping the dual head mode again). Also there is a difference in tone when switching the unit on and off since it runs through a tube and all so the bass sounds warmer when the unit is running (whether or not an effect is going) The solution I found so far is using the Reverb section as the bypass and just keeping the reverb volume down. That way my signal runs through the tube at all times.

Overall I am very pleased. Very cool delay. Now I just need a new board to put it on (this thing is huge) but it does look really nice sitting right next to my H&K Tube Factor.

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    That sounds really cool. Congrats on the find.