Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I GOT BLISTERS ON ME FINGERS!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Actually, I don't. The first 2 years I played bass I had blisters/calluses on my fingers constantly. But for the last 4 years, I haven't had any. Why does this happen? After a while it's like my fingers got used to it and softened up again. I still have very small calluses on the tips of my left hand fingers, but thats it. Where'd they go? Does anyone else get this?
    BTW, I haven't really cut back on my playing at all, if anything I play a lot more now then I used to.

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I don't have calluses on my left hand, has I play with the pads of my fingers. That might be it. See where your finger contacts the sting, on the pad or the tip. If you don't have calluses on your right hand and you play finger style, then something's amiss.

3. Left hand--Kinda right next to the tip. My fingers aren't exactly tap dancing on the finger board, but they're not flat on the pads either. Kinda at an angle on the tip, but still no calluses.
    I do play with my fingers, no pick, and my right hand doesn't have them either. That's what really confused me. It doesn't make sense.

4. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    all my fingers are very hard, i guess that's calluses?

5. i used to get them to start with, didnt for about 4 years, then just last week i got a blister under the calus on my right hand index finger its gone now but that finger tip is rock solid now

6. Skeletomania

Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    So, should you have calluses and blisters if you play finger style?

7. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    No. Everyone's skin reacts differently to the duress of playing, and some people play with much more force than others.

8. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I basically only play fingerstyle, and my right hand only has 1 callus, and its on the pointer finger. Yes i alternate pick, and no i don't rake. As clap said- we all react differently.

9. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I have no callises anywhere, and i only play fingerstyle. I practice quite a bit, on Ernie Ball roundwounds. but my fingers dont hurt when i play, and they never get tired, so im not complaining.

When i play acoustic guitar, my fingers kill after a few minutes. maybe you should try that