I got called...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Apr 16, 2002.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    ..."a particularly good bassist." last night after running through a few songs at an open mic night.

I just like the way it sounded. Better than other complements, "you kicked ash man." or "Dude, you're sick." or "Wow, you blew me away".

"Particularly good" doesn't sound cliche. First time I've ver heard that. I liked it.

I said "Thank you, no one's ever said that before. That was really nice to say."

I've heard "I've never heard anyone play bass like that before" once, but I wasn't sure it was a complement.

2. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Lucky... the best Ive gotten was "Wow! Is that the Seinfeld theme," While I was slapping.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Are you sure you didn't miss the "not"? :D

And Greg, which bassist hasn't heard that? :rolleyes:
  4. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Any that cant slap.

Getting asked "was that seinfeld?" is almost as bad as being asked if I can play "stairway to heaven" and expecting me to play the guitar peice. I say " Sorry thats guitar,"
    They say "dont you play guitar!"
  5. My guitarist friend and I have been in the mood to do strange-flavoured covers of cliche rock songs... how about a death metal version of Stairway, or rap or something?

Or ... Or... techno Owner of a Lonely Heart! Yeah!
  6. Or when they ask if you can play "stairway..." sit there for a few minutes, then as they walk away, start into the bass line. :D
  7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I've always liked it best when someone says "Man, you're a great bass player" after they've seen/heard you play a simple and solid grooving tune or two with a band. No pyrotechnics or flashy tricks...just good tight ensemble playing.

This particular compliment usually comes courtesy of a person who knows what they're talking about. It's easy to impress kids at Guitar Center with a bunch of noodling, but getting compliments for just "being a bassist" is more rare.
  8. After a jam once, the guitarist turned to me and said: "Gee! it's really nice to play with a bass-player who knows what he's doing..."

Actually, I think what he MIGHT have said was "Gee! it must be nice to play with a bass-player who knows what he's doing..."

- Wil
  9. Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Actually, that's all been done before, one of my roommates has a CD that has about 13 different versions of Stairway. It's called "Stairways To Heaven"
    I don't know where she got it, or what the label is, since I can't seem to find it right now.:oops: :rolleyes:
  10. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    lol, everytime I slap in front of people somebody always has to ask if I can play the Seinfeld theme... I love the show, but that bass line is hard (from what I can tell) and was programmed on a keyboard.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    a friend of mines mom once told me "your playing is inspirational...I really don't know what to say...you voice yourself so well" that was the most unique compliment I've gotten....except for my english teacher who is pretty old and he loves classical music, and doesn't listen to much modern stuff at all.
    he said "you made those noises, that I don't particularly find interesting, very well tonight" Ha! I loved that
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It was....one of the top call bassists in california told me :D