***!!! I got fired for a stupid reason.....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Franz Jr., Feb 6, 2005.

1. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    So my band was chugging along just fine. We got some good shows opening for some awesome bands (Drive By Truckers, Wil Hoge, Butch Walker and American Hi-Fi) writing some really good songs, getting played on the radio, and about to record a full length album. Then last week I go to eat dinner with the drummer and lead singer. I am told that they are not feeling the band situation anymore!! Ok, I can respect that! I don't want to play with people who are not into it. The good thing is we were friends first and than became a band. We all got together to figure out some business stuff and come to find out, that they are still going to play together as our band and look for other members. The reason I got was that my style does not fit them anymore!!! Been a band for 2 years and this info could have been useful to me yesterday! I believe that the singer/guitarist doesn't like the fact that I have a backbone and won;t let hime tell me how to play. I am open to constructive criticism but you cannot stand over my shoulder tell what to play and how to play it.

Sorry had to get some things off my chest! Thanks for reading.
  2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I have a similar problem with one of my guitarists, I just outright told him "hey, your sound isn't fitting with the band." The next practice he fixed it, maybe your band is just full of assholes.
  3. WickdMOnkey

Nov 18, 2003
    Man that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you move on to bigger and better things though.
  4. Karma...something good is about to happen to you, so keep your eyes open.
  5. thats rough man. hate it when stuff like that happens. well the reality is, whether its fair or not, usually every band has a leader, and the guitar player/singer or the singer usually gets that right. if your style wasnt working for him he wouldnt be fullfilling his own musical goals by keeping you in the band. i doubt this will be the last time youlle be faced with such a decision. submit to someone elses rules or leave the band. youlle be fine, you have probably already proven to yourself you have what it takes, so go out and find some like minded people. happy tappin
  6. Zombass

Feb 8, 2005
    good thing about my band i am the leader thing, i have to book all the practises, look after the money, arrange the gigs etc
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i agreee with what the tappin slappin 6 string guy said. even if he isn't the "leader" if he wants to play with a bass player who's going to play what he wants them to, and you don't want to do that - then it's best you both go your own ways.

i gotta say too, that while i empathise with your feelings about being thrown out, the last stetement you made didn't sound too cool to me. you won't let him stand behind you and tell you what to play and how to play it??? why not? the whole backbone statement doesn't really fit to well in a band setting as far as i'm concerned. has nothing to do with standing by your guns. i can see someone getting upset at an attitude like that. if i had ideas for my guitarist and he said he didn't want me telling him what to play, that wouldn't jive with me. same the other way around - when he has ideas for me, i go with them.

sorry to not take your side on this one, but i think an objective opinion may often be more helpful than simply taking someone's side. maybe you want to really check out your own attitude to ensure this doesn't happen next time around. a little humility in musicianship can go a really long way. people want to play with people who are easy to work with.
  8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Too bad it turned out like that. But as Joe said sometimes you have to bend. In my old band we all took suggestion from each other. Sometimes the idea worked and sometimes it didn't. Everyone in the band is going to face this. Just wait till the band gets a record deal and the producer says "I think some violins would sound good here".
  9. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Getting air play and getting ready to cut an full album. Yep that's when it usually happens. I don't know why but a lot of bands have this compulsion to fix something that is working right at that time. I've also seen a lot of bands disappear from view at the same time.
    I agree with Joe when you are in a band you work together to make the band work. But that also should work both ways. The band needs to find out what is wanted and provide it. Artistic views and "my" sound puts no food on the table. After the reshuffle the band may go on or it may disappear. Personal experiance suggests the latter.
  10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, It's true - there are plenty of cover and tribute bands where you're supposed to perfectly COPY the original - no room for yourself in that. ..And session work, where you get precise sheet music slapped in front of you, and that's it! ..Or original bands with just ONE writer, and everything must sound the way it did in his head (or HER - that'd HAVE to be worse!) when he wrote it.

I'm in a band where we all pretty-much freely interpret our parts and arrangements - but we're a nuthin-band playing little dive bars for $300 a night. I hope that as I advance on bass, I get a gig with a higher-paying, more established band (Ooo - maybe even a HORN band!), but I'm expecting that along with that happening, there's a good chance that my 'freedom of musical expression' will diminish considerably.

11. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I am completely open to suggestions, don't get me wrong. But when someone literally will stand in front of you and demand that you play a certain way it can and does get old. It was not just me either but the drummer, who does anything he says and the lead guitar player. But if I made a suggestion about vocals or a melody he was would listen to an idea and then completely shoot it down. I just gotta find somewhere else to play.!!
  12. DanRafi5

Feb 16, 2005
    just remember everything happens for a reason better things will come from it...
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Excuse me, but when he was standing over your shoulder and telling you how to play, that was him telling you your style does not fit them. I guess you missed that. You clearly underestimated where the power was in the band. You didn't win, you and your backbone lost.
  14. che990

Feb 19, 2005
    that sucks big time, some idiot at my school quit his band cos his bassist wasn't a "cool person" these people are posers who wanna look good if the guy kicked you out cos of ur style he probs don't have much of his own.