Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got fired today.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cassanova, Aug 31, 2004.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Dont mean to bug anyone here with my problems, but Im still steaming and need to vent.

Last night this 18 year old girl who was in charge of the shift thought she would get bitchy and curse me when she was telling me what to do. I dont mind taking orders but I dont accept being treated rudely and cursed at while being given them. (Not to mention its a form of harassment and illegal) any who, I did what she told me to and also told her "Hey! Don't curse me like that!" She didnt utter 2 words to me for the remainder of the shift, which was fine with me.

Today when I get to work, Im told that I better not have an atitude again when talking with this individual when shes left in charge. I told the boss, that I didnt have one until she cursed at me and was rude and "If you want me to do something I'll do it, but dont curse at me because its illegal & offends me and more importantly if I cant curse you, then the same respect is due. Well, the jerk continued with "If I wanna curse you when I talk at you then I'll ****in do it" I tell him, "ok, it's not me who's breaking the law then, so if you must, then go right ahead."

After I said that I was told I was fired and to go home. He also told me to enjoy my career on my way out the door. (I didnt really let that part bother me too much because Im currently back in college to obtain a R.N. degree.) So I politely said, "Oh, I will, see when Im a R.N. making $35k-$45k to start I'll be thinkin of you and oh yeah, its you I feel sorry for, cause your a 50 somethin year old man and all you ever will be is a telemarketer."

I just cant belive that I got fired because I told them that cursing at me while at work offends me and is illegal. (well I can, this is Florida afterall.)

2. Some people are jerks/assholes, and your boss is a perfect example from what you said here. I like to punch those people in the face until they recognize that they are jerks. Good job showing maturity, and good luck with your schooling, potential R.N job. (I don't know what that is)

Anyhow, you should mail your boss a container of poop.

3. legal actions, I think I would, well maybe not, I am not usually agressive, but when you inform your boss that something like that is illegal and they do it anyways and then fire you for (more or less) stating the law andsaying you were offended..I thought a boss was supposed to set the example and not say yeah go ahead break the law if you are incharge at the moment. Not right

what ever this is just how I feel right now, my mood will probably change soon and i will be like.........meh, who cares, you did the coolest thing :meh:

4. If you can let it go and move on to better things then good for you. If not, I think you have every right to drag their asses into court (but that could be a real hassle).

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    file an unemployment claim on the dirty rat bastard - do this immediately - by doing this and being successful, you should get the state to raise the % points that they (the dirty rat bastard) have to pay into the fund (this really pisses of management!!!!)

6. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    ^ VERY good advice. Definitely file an unemployment claim. That's really crappy what they did to you. It's hard to let his comments and stuff slide, but it sounds like you're doing well on that. Doesn't sound like a place I'd want to be working regardless. What a bunch of bastards...

7. +1 :cool:

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +2

9. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    and then they scratch their heads and wonder why people go home and get Mr 9mm . you just can't treat people that way,
    now, I'm not saying to do that, but that kind of thing happens all the time. and you will be better off away from there!!!!
    best of luck in your future as an R.N. and a bass player

David T

10. Grace and humanity are wasted on some lizard bosses.

Definitely file an unemployment claim, post haste. If the lizard wants to contest it, you'll get the opportunity to tell your side of the story to the labor board, which quite frankly doesn't make them look very good. Of course at that point it's a he-said-she-said proposition, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Good luck. I've been in your shoes more than once.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That really sucks...both the 18yo twit cursing you and losing your job. It sounds though like you responded in an equally immature manner to the boss man though. The comments about him were definitely not taking the high road but you were angry as I'm sure I would have been too and we don't always have control during those kinds of moments.

brad cook

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    That blows Cassnova.

Where did you work, & what position did you hold?

13. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

:D
    sounds funny , but then he'd have something to use against you....
    file on the bastards , it's the only way .

still sorry you lost that shi**y job ??
    i hope something good happens for you , so you won't have to take anymore crap from a lousy manager ...

14. Hey, I just got it! An R.N is a Registered Nurse, right?

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes dave, 1st gravity, now medical terminology......... :p

16. Yup.

17. Cursing is illegal?

18. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's considered abuse. File the unemployment, and when you do, you get to explain what happened. Just tell them the truth.

Hey Brad, I think you might have misunderstood cass.
    I thought he was civil about it. He just told his boss that nobody is allowed to talk to him like that, and he said it properly. The boss cursed at him.

Oh well, my wife is going to nursing school right now, too. Good luck with that, Cass.

19. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Casanova, I am very sorry about the unfortunate circumstances of your having been fired. About five years ago my son was also fired in Florida by an unscrupulous telemarketer under the most outrageous and egregious circumstances.

What we found out is that Florida is an "employment-at will" state meaning you can be fired at any time for any reason without notice and without explanation. At the same time, you may also terminate your employment at any time without notice or explanation to your boss and they may not take legal action or punitive action against you.

Even more unfair, it is excedingly hard to take action against an employer without the most exhaustive documentation and provable claims. I feel your only basis of action to to seek unemployment compensation for as long as you will be elegible.

You are studying to be an R.N., a high stress occupation. You will probably be sworn at and worse many times in that career. You will need to develop a very thick shell and overlook petty matters in your work and training...most especially if you work in an "employment-at will state" and there are many which follow that doctrine.

Put this unfair situation behind you and learn something from it.

20. man that sucks when you get fired for someone else's bad attitude, i say Take the power back!