I got FIRED!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jan 30, 2003.

1. I had a really ass day at work today, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

However, I got a call right after I got home asking me to come back to the Helpdesk to meet with one of the supervisors. This tends not to be a good sign, so I asked, "Can you do this over the phone?" The super said, "Oh, it'll only take 10 minutes, please just come down."

-"Will the outcome of this meeting be my termination?"
    -"Then I'm quitting."

So, with the super's blessing, I sent in a letter of resignation effective immediately.

The downside of this is that I lose ~$100/week in discretionary funds until I find a new job, but the upside is that I have more time for going to the gym and playing bass.
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    What the Hay were you thinkin'?!

Too much Talk Bass on the company's dime?
    If so, then it's Lindfield's fault!
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    or a civil suit... LOL
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

5. :D

I think my TB habit probably was a contributing factor. It was excruciatingly difficult for me to work tech support--I detest helping people over the phone, preferring to do it in person, and the operating procedures at Cornell Information Technologies were moronic--and I needed the release.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well now, wasn't that a feather in your cap? :)
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm very proud of you, pete. you're growing up so quick -sniff- -sniff-. :D
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, i just thought of something, are you sure it's not because the smug-er-oni goatee got removed?
  9. Playwriter: THAT'S IT, I QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moe Howard: You cant quit!

Playwriter: AND WHY NOT?

Moe Howard: Cause you're FIRED!

Curly Howard: You can't fire him!

Moe Howard: Why not?

Curly Howard: HE QUIT!

I am hilarious. FEAR ME.

10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You know, he DID say "probably". They could have just needed help getting Minesweeper up and running on Linux.
  11. Worse than generic--it was supporting Cornell-specific software.

I gotta say, telling users how to hunt through registry keys gets really tiring the 50th time you do it...
  12. Least you had a job....

13. "Perhaps only those who truly believe in God can do good and keep quiet about it."

Hey Pete, I do plenty of good and keep quiet about it, and I am one of the ferocious athiests/agnostics on the Cornell campus. :p
  14. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like the only thing to be saved was your dignity - nothing like letting 'em know that they're not getting any of that :)

My wife is the admin for a corporate network - if only she could have the patience with me that she does with her brainless (L)users... of course, her assessment of the situation might be a leeetle bit different... ;)
  15. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

what kind of software?

where i work they specifically tell us not to tell the customer to touch the registry.
  16. Cornell has a suite of in-house programs such as "Just the Facts" (student information/add-drop/registration), "COLTS" (Cornell Online Timecard System), etc. and Cornell-modified versions of software such as Kerberos, Norton/Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition and Eudora. I was also responsible for setting up users on ResNet (the dorm Ethernet system) and EZ-Remote (the modem pool).

We often had to do registry dives because of glitches in the standard (not CE) version of Norton Antivirus that would kill DHCP when NAV2001/2002/2003 was uninstalled. Among other things.
  17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :rolleyes: I need some pity comin' my way. After 3 years of ISP and corp tech I'd moved up the ranks to net admin, all was well for a couple years.... I got layed off over a year ago and have resorted to taking ISP help desk calls at home. from 5pm to 10pm mon-fri I have an 800 tech support # routed to my house

.... someone shoot me, please

[edit] ohh yea, sorry to hear that Pete. hope it all works out for ya [/edit]
  18. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    oh yeah, we've got all the same kinds of stuff. web-based mail, an all-in-one portal, ISIS, web enrollment, plus a cd we put out that installs eudora and configures them for access to our email servers along with a host of other stuff. also resnet, dial up, blah blah blah...

i'm surprised they let you edit registry stuff over the phone though. we have an 'advanced desktop support' team that takes care of stuff when it gets to that point, and most of the time people end up dropping their computer off and we have it back to them next day.

and for the record - i love working phone support. pretty soon i'm going to be doing walk in support and email support, but i dunno....it just seems like a bunch of fun little challenges one after another. sure i get pissed off at some people but all in all i enjoy it. i love my co workers, and i feel like i'm actually learning a good skill in being able to talk people thru stuff over the phone.
  19. I much, much prefer to help people in person. Walk-ins and on-sites are my bread and butter. Unfortunately, when they restructured the Helpdesk, they sharply reduced the number of in-person service calls.

I sent a resume to the labor relations school's in-house help desk, which does a lot more on-site work. Here's hoping that pans out.