Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got kicked out of my band...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Velocimaniac, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    and I didn't even make it into the one before that. The drummer called and said I was only the "temporary bassist" and they'd found a permanent one. But I was never told this when I played with them. This makes me really upset:mad: The drummer would speed up and slow down and then accuse me of speeding up and slowing down when I got lost for a measure and then started matching his speed again. Not only that but he was so bad at simple symphonic drums and counting off he had to repeat symphonic band when he was in the 6th grade. Stupid drummer.

EDIT: I haven't talked with the guitarist yet. So maybe we can still play together and just get another drummer. But I doubt it.:(

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Sounds like no great loss really, but I understand how it sucks in your situation.

I don't like drummers to have much bass monitoring abilities personally. IMO the drummer is the metronome of the band, and my concentration is 90% on the kick drum. I just thought it was a bad idea for the foundation to try to compensate for each other. I refuse to play with bad drummers.

3. How 'bout starting another project with your guitarist. Post some adds up for an experienced drummer. Maybe this project will end up working out better than the old one. If this ends up working out I bet that drummer will end up feeling much worse than you have...

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Solution: Get a new band.

Thats just no respect, and i would not even want to be in the band if they did something like that.

5. Right. Plus, chances are the new bassist will have the same difficulties with the drummer anyway, and the band will realize the error of their ways...

6. the great one

the great one

Jan 25, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Send your former drummer a "Thank You" card. If he sucked as much as you say, imo he did you a favor. Now you can find talented musicians to play with.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The rat bastriches will all DIE! Eventually.

9. My drummer doesn't do this. We'll be writing songs, he'll lay down a simple bass thing while he learns the guitar riffs, then once we're all sure of the song he'll work in fast double bass parts with fills etc, leaving me in the wilderness. I'm the metronome in my band, and I lock in close with my rhythm guitarist.

10. Weasel

Weasel

Feb 18, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    First of all, hopefully you´ll find a new band with a proper drummer! I think drummer and bassist should have symbiosis (when playing at least ;) ), so they can change styles and even tempos if necessary. It´s lot easier to vocalists and guitarists etc. when they have a bottom to trust.

11. Agreed.

The way I view it:

Whatever they do on the top part..the part you hit with the drum sticks...that's their own thing.

Kick drum(s): Metronome

;)