1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I got kicked out of my band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by deathMetal777, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deathMetal777

deathMetal777 Banned

Dec 22, 2011
    Got kicked out my band for "only playing root notes"... Lol isn't that the point of bass? To play the guitar part in a lower octave? What idiots.....

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    No, not really. Especially in a death metal band I would think.

3. deathMetal777

deathMetal777 Banned

Dec 22, 2011
    I pretty much played quarter notes on the root note. When I was feeling creative I would play some random notes.

4. Mharris

Mharris

Sep 25, 2007
    Missoula Montana
    Playing roots is the most basic function of the bass. But playing only roots is like a drummer that never plays any fills.

Sounds like you need to learn to walk to the next chords and learn some fills or something.

5. livinitup0

livinitup0

Dec 22, 2011
    did you use a pick?

lolz :)

6. deathMetal777

deathMetal777 Banned

Dec 22, 2011
    It's not like bass is an essential part of a band anyway... Its kind of a bonus

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    The point of bass is to provide rythmic low end, not just the guitar part in a lower octave. Some times only playing the root note is appropriate, but there is so much more opportunity to create more meaningful bass parts than just copying your guitarist.
    I take it you either havent been playing very long, or that you really dont know, possibly because you dont understand, the role of the bass in rock music.

I wouldnt say your bandmates are idiots for their reasoning, I think they may understand your role better than you do, and are looking for more from a bassist.

8. This elicited a gigglesnort. Just to be sure and without insult, I would like to ask do you know how to play bass?

When you say you only play root notes, are you saying that you essentially only need one string?

Personally trying to understand the situation.

9. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    please...

10. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You used to play guitar before bass, didnt you?
    At this point youre either trolling, or clueless.

11. deathMetal777

deathMetal777 Banned

Dec 22, 2011
    Neither. I would hardly consider myself clueless. I listen to rap sooo....

12. Nick B.

Nick B.

Aug 11, 2009
    Canada
    Not sure if you're trolling or not..
    But don't be offended by them. Practice until you're blue in the face. 'Practice makes perfect' isn't just some dumb cliche, it's the real deal.

13. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I think hes trolling he also made a post on whats the best bass for metal...

14. TrollDoll.

15. over_the_moon

over_the_moon Guest

Jan 19, 2010
    You should've told them that you weren't playing root notes, you were playing fifths of the relative minor.

16. deathMetal777

deathMetal777 Banned

Dec 22, 2011

Lol I collect those

17. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    Looking at the OP's three threads, I'm feeling trolled. But, then again, it might just be that a death metal "bass player" who thinks of bass as a "bonus", only plays quarter notes on the root, and doesn't know who Steve Harris is, fulfills all of my stereotypes about death metal.

But I think its a troll.

On the offhand the OP isn't a troll and starts to feel upset, its okay to rage-quit. And before you ask, here's the place to do it:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f34/why-im-tantrum-quitting-talkbass-840298/

18. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Your kind tends not to last too long around here.
    If youre serious about playing bass, I suggest you use the resources provided here, which are truly great and offer a lot of help and advice.
    If youre just here to have fun and stir some **** about, I suggest you keep it relegated to the Off Topic section, where we're much more obliged to play along.

He also started an Off Topic thread regarding his penchant for Cinderella. The princess, not the band.

19. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    633607470680331650-trolls.

20. It may be those random notes that's causing the discontent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.