Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i got LOTS of cds!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    on my recent USA trip i went on a cd buying rampage!

it was all about CDs that i would NEVER find down here in my country... and since i browsed lots of music stores i just bought cds in the 11.99 neighborhood:

Jaco Pastorius - Self titled
    i got the remastered album with 2 bonus tracks... i loved most of the songs (Continuum is beautiful!)... although some songs had repetitive basslines that didnt quite did for me (Okonkole)... but still is a really nice cd to have

Victor Wooten - Live in America
    i actually listened the sound samples on cdnow and since it has most songs from the wooten albums i decided that if i had to buy one victor album, it has to be this one. 2cds full of live stuff, well recorded. and the "Miller time" duet (w/mr. Miller himself) was pure magic.

Fugazi - End Hits
    probably the BEST cd i bought on this rampage, I first heard of fugazi thanks to DHC (he mentioned them on a "best instrumental" thread)... good songs, good instrumentation, punk voices, nice bassist!.

The Who - Ultimate Collection
    so i decided to had a Who album, so i had to get a hits collection like this one. 2 remastered cds full of most of the songs i enjoyed from Who mp3s...

Jamiroquai - Emergency on Planet Earth
    on my search to buy the three best (and early) JQ albums i HAD to get this one... i already have Traveling Without Moving... i still need "Return of Space Cowboy"... as always Stu Zender is amazing.

Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy
    i always wanted a Squarepusher album... i bumped on this one for 11 bucks, so i bought it... nothing to regret! its filled with weird electronic/jazzy music that i find so relaxing (im I the only weirdo that use Squarepusher music for meditation????).

PJ Harvey - Rid of Me
    it's very hard to find early PJ albums down here, this one is rpure aw girl rock... i love you Polly! (i still want "to bring you my love")

Spin Doctors - Homebelly Groove
    it was one of the albums i madly want to get but was really hard to find... when i did find it it was for $4 (yes, $4!!) it was a used cd at Wherehouse music... it was flawless.
    I can't really explain why i love this cd so much, the singer is amusing, guitar solos are LONG and sometimes annoying, Bass is cool but kinda badly mixed, drums are LOUD! and all that cant keep me from listening it! me likes!

Dream Theater - Metropolis pt2, Scenes from a Memory
    i love this album, cant get enough of it. Enjoyed the lyrics story along the music.

Dream Theater - A Chang of Seasons
    the BEST DT album... no doubt about it. John Myung tone on the live tracks is round and present.

Incubus - SCIENCE
    this was my main reason to go to USA! this album is GREAT all around.

------------------------------------------------

as you see i have a pretty wide taste in music :)

2. That all sounds good. Good choices.

3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Whoo! Emergency on Planet Earth is a great CD. So is SCIENCE, those are my two favorites on that list. Good taste Dave!

4. Julien

Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    Paris,France
    your list is pretty cool!!congrats(except you made two mistakes:the two dream theater albums:))

5. glad you like fugazi. you can't go wrong with any of their CDs but End Hits is particularly ambitious, IMO.

and that PJ cd RAWKS. FIF-TAY FOOT QUEEN-AY!

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    All are awesome purchases.

Though the DT Change of Seasons, and the Spin Doctors albums kick the most booty. (Mark White totally rips it up on Sweet Widow)

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yes!

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Fugazi is awesome. Ian Mackaye is a genius. I bought The Argument and I was amazed. You all should go buy The Argument, for you will also be amazed.

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Im actually between "the argument" and "Repeater" for next album to buy

10. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Fugazi's older stuff sounded like a mix of dub and punk which is good but I like the newer stuff more. I'm gonna have to get End Hits. Check out Minor Threat, Ian's old band, they were a hardcore punk band which were pretty good IMO,but you probably already knew all that.

11. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    isnt dream theatre that fantasy metal group? ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Fugazi is great. I just picked up 13 Songs the other day. Waiting Room is an awesome song. If you want to check out Minor Threat look for thier Complete Discography CD. Has a ton of songs on it. Minor Threat is really good. Brian Baker is actually now playing with Bad Religion.

13. PROG ROCK, dang it!:rolleyes: ;)

14. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    shut up

15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yep, Squarepusher is so f'ing mind bending!

can't wait to get the other albums (they simply DONT EXIST down here in my country... :(

glad im not alone :)

16. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    No.

17. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Good for you; I own and love Scenes From a Memory, and plan on getting the live DVD very soon.

18. If you like Fugazi, look for Embrace (Ian's band right before Fugazi) and Rites of Spring (Guy's band just prior to Fugazi). Both are amazing and raw. Rediculously powerful.

19. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Curious what version of Homebelly Groove you got.
    When I originally bought it, years ago, it only had 4 or 5 tracks. Then, about a year later I found another version with a full CD worth of tracks.

I dig the drummer. Solid as a rock.

20. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico

yep, the drums are well recorded and well played...

oh and i got the 10 track version... :)