Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got me a Clarus now I need some cabs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matthewfoote, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Advice please!

[Preamble] After 4 years of playing live every week direct throught a P.A with foldback monitors on stage so I can hear myself, I have at last started to put together my new rig.

I decided that lightweight was the over-riding criteria for my rig with the Clarus being the obvious choice on the amp side. Cant get Walter Woods in the UK. I really love the light weight as well as the neutral sound that it produces. The only drawback for me is the realitively low power but as I don't play in a rock band I am not too concerned.

I use a fretless 7 string Sei Bass and play mainly gospel or in Church so articulation rather than power is the name of the game.

[Question] Now for the cabs. Again I need lightweight and I am looking for a 1x10 and a 1x12. I have tried a Epifany UL 1x10 with the Clarus and like it a lot especially when paired with a normal Epi 1x12. Anyone know when the UL 1x12 is out.

Can you guys give advice on the Ampeg PB range or any other alternatives eg 2nd hand EA 208 [can it handle a low B] etc.

Any help appreciated

Regards

Matthew

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I use an EA VL208 with a 300 watt Eden and it certainly can handle a low B - even on an EUB !! :eek:

I use it for small gigs and Jazz jams and am always getting compliments on the sound - so people are always asking how I get such a low and full sound from an EUB!!

I think the VL208 is the best cab I have ever heard - a real Hi-Fi cab! :)

3. Bruce

Thanks for your reply, is the EA 208 8 ohms or 4 ohms and how may watts does your Eden produce at the Ohm[age] of the cab.

Regards

Matthew

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    EA's new wizzy 112 cabs would be a good match. 28lbs each, highly efficient, and they are four ohms each so they would make the most of your 2ohm capable clarus.

5. Basss

Thanks for the recommendation of the Wizzy 112 it is one I will put on the list to seriously look at.

As you rightly say, 2x4ohm cabs will get the most from my Clarus and that is the direction I will be heading in following yours and others advice.

Many thanks

Matthew

PS any more recommendations for cabs from anyone else!

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Also check out the Ampeg 1x12" Portabass cab. 4 ohms, 23 lbs, and built in wheels and luggage handle. :bassist:

7. Reefer

Thanks for your reply.

Have you tried the porta bass cabs and can you say how they sound? I am impressed by their specification but have yet to hear one, but they are another on my short list to try.

Anyone else for anyother suggestions

Regards

Matthew

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    funny you should ask!

i stopped by a GC a little while ago, trying out the ampeg portabass series with my Clarus, and was pleasantly surprised.

the Portabass' seem to have changed a bit, cause i remember them being harsher in the upper mids and trebs, but the ones i played a few weeks ago, were darker, more smoother sounding.

using the Clarus with either the 1x12, or 2x10, i could get some ok volume, and prolly more than enough for church/worship groups. i'm sure it'd sound even bigger with the 2x12, which they didnt have.

with my memory serving me, the tone compared to my Epifani 1x10 UL pair was darker with a bit more grunt in the lower mids. the Epi's were even smoother, sweeter, with an airier sounding top. but i wouldnt have minded the Ampeg's at all.

still, compared to the Epi's, the Ampeg's lacked a certain depth and the tweeter is still a bit harsh when turned up. yet, overall, its a pleasing box, and a good place to start for someone looking for a portable solution.

9. Jokerjkny

Thanks for the quick review of the portabass.

How do you find the Epi UL's with the Clarus. As the 1x10's are 8ohm cabs using two will give you 200 Watts, have you found that to be enough power.

I have tried the Clarus + UL1x10 combination in a shop and loved the sound but it was not at full volume so I couldn't check out how loud it could really go. Also until other instruments join in you never really know if you have enough.

The reason I am interested in two 4 ohm cabs is that it will give me the maximum 300 watts from the Clarus, but the challenge is finding lightweight 4 ohm cabs that will run on 300 watts. I know the Epi UL 2X10 can be had in 4 ohm mode but two of those will be expensive!

Any more thoughts from people will be much appreciated.

Regards

Matthew

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

any 1x10 wont give you all that much power, and even within a praise band context, it wont have enough natural low end handling to sound anything like a bass. it'll sound more like you're plucking on a thick guitar string. and even if you boost the bass knob on your amp to compensate, the 1x10 still wont be loud enough, and you might actually blow it with all the extra boosted frequencies.

AFAIK, Nick at Epifani doesnt make a 4 ohm 1x10, cause of my above mentioned thoughts.

the one exception to this rule are Acme's 1x10, which sound very full range. makes my low B sound great, which is incredibly rare for a 1x10 cab. unfortunately, its still too quiet even for most club gigs, and especially with a moderately loud drummer. but for coffeehouse, small jazz trio's, etc., it fares very very well.

so i strongly suggest you look at cabs larger than just one mere 1x10. however, a pair of any 1x10's or a 2x10 cab will do fine. they should give you that volume and low end you'll need. also, a 1x12 like the 39 lbs. Aguilar GS112 is another great idea. the Ampeg Portabass 1x12 is a fine cab on its own, but the Aguilar is MUCH bigger sounding. there's also EA's new CXL112L series, which from what i heard could be another lightweight yet punchie and slammin' candidate for you.

FYI, for my low wattage gigs, i use either a pair of Epifani 8 ohm 1x10-UL's, or a pair of Acme 4 ohm 1x10 B-1's. the Acme's need extra juice to really get going, so i got the 4 ohm pair which doubles down to a 2 ohm load that gives me 300 watts from my Clarus. its a bit too flat for most tastes, but with a healthy boost in the 40Hz on my Sadowsky, i couldnt be happier for my praise/worship gigs.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Unless the UL version of the T-112 is going to be released soon, then I would recommend that you stick with the T-110UL/T-112 setup. I played around with a number of different cab configurations before I stumbled onto that particular combo, and it still blows me away how well they pair up.

I also own three VL-208s (and two VL-210B's and one CX-310 - GAS out of control, I know :eek:), and while the VL-208 is one of the most impressive cabs that I have heard, I think that with only 200watts feeding them, you may have better luck with the Epi pair. I know that my Walkabout (300w into 4 ohm) drives the Epi's just fine, but doesn't really wake up the EA's. Now, with enough juice, (say 250-300+watts per cab), the VL-208's are hard to beat. I was impressed with two of them, but when I added the third, it really made a huge difference in the low end. Two VL-208s will not have anywhere near the low end of two VL-210s, but three VL-208s compete quite well, AND have better midrange, presence, and articulation. And I do agree, for upright, the VL-208 is tops (although the T-110UL also sounds great, even by itself, on upright).

Hope this helps, Tom.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Wow - that sounds amazing - I would love to hear my 5-string EUB through 3 EA VL 208s !!! :eek:

I can imagine playing a low D and registering on the Richter scale!! ;)

13. Bruce Lindfield

Errr.. don't know - presume 150 watts, but it sounds louder and much higher quality, than the 150 watt combos I've tried?

(I add an 8ohm 1 X 15 for larger gigs.)

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It really did impress me how three of them handled the low B so much better than two VL-208s. And the nice thing is, that the response is even and balanced up through the B, E and into the mids. By comparison, my T-112 (solo) has strong low end, but with noticeable peaks and valleys (which is one reason why the T-110UL pairs up with it so well) which don't seem to be apparent with the VL-208's.

One additional note regarding the VL-208's, while all the VL-series cabs seem to like being driven hard, when I push the VL-208's really hard, they tend to lose their composure a bit, compared to the VL-210B's, which seem to sound better and better the harder you push them (I am talking 3,000w bridged mono from a PLX 3002, here!).

But I digress...

Tom.

15. tombowlus

Thanks for you advice. I am going to have to do some serious A/B[ing] over the next few weeks and months to sort out the good from the not so good.

Any more thoughts guys

Regards

Matthew

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Sure, why not! One more thought that I would add which mirrors comments that I recently made to a fellow looking for a one cab solution is to check out the Accugroove Mini Whappo. It was very similar in overall volume, articulation, and tonal balance to the Epi T-112/T-110UL pair that I picked up. It was noticeably less colored, and handled the B-string more clearly (though the Epi pair handled the E more clearly, go figure). It may give you that flat, studio-like response similar to EA's, but with better efficiency (than the VL-series) and with a sweet top end similar to the Epifani's.

I had kinda forgotten about the Mini Whappo temporarily until the other thread reminded me, but it is a great sounding smallish cab that should definitely make your short list. And I believe that it costs slightly less than a T-112/T-110UL combo.

Happy hunting, Tom.

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Not to add any more confusion, but I recently picked up a used, but mint condition, EA Wizzy 1x12 (unpowered). This is a phenomenal cab. I have already posted about it elsewhere, so if you search this forum, you'll find more ranting and raving from me, but let me tell you it is the real deal, and should very much be worth a listen.

Ultimately, the Mini Whappo would still be my favorite choice for your situation, but the Wizzy is a good bit more affordable, and I predict that it will far surpass anything else in its price range for your use.

Later, Tom.

18. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hi Matthew,

I also have the Clarus/Portabass combination.

I'm using the Porta 1x12 and it sounds really good. It isn't that strong in the mids and highs IMO, but the EQ on the Clarus is enough to fix that. Lots and lots of low end and the Porta can take a low B pretty well. I'm not sure if that would be enough volume to play a church, but if you went through the PA as well it should do the trick.

The Porta line is unbeatable as far as portability goes. As stated, the 1x12 is only 24 pounds and has a dolly handle.

Disadvantages - well, I tried the 1x10 and it is a bit thin... Also the front grille has a tendency to pop out on the bottom, but that is easily fixed.

Hope this helps! :)

19. Thrash_jazz

Thanks for the reply, it is very useful. I have still not managed to try out a portabass but it is on my list I hope to shortly.

Regards

Matthew