Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got me a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Antipop, Jun 1, 2002.

1. It cost me $500 canadian...about $325 american. It was used. It is an Ibanez SR1000 with some EMG pickups on it. Nice sound, ultra low action though, really good for finger tapping. I dunno, I think it was a good buy, though I didnt know they made SR1000's....my friend told me they stopped makinng them, so I have two questions

1. Do you think it was a good buy
    and
    2. Do you know why they stopped making them?

2. 1) If it's the same model I'm thinking of, then yes, I think it was a good buy. The SR1000 was pretty much the top of the line model back when Ibanez first intruduced the Soundgear line. Features like the (stock) EMG pickups and ebony fretboard set it apart from the other models.

2) Ibanez has revamped the Soundgear line completely several times over in the 14-15 years since the SR1000 came out. Sometimes the model numbers coincide with earlier model numbers (like the SR800), but sometimes not.

Mike

3. thanks for the info. I was just curious of the reason why.
    I hope its the same model you are thinking of. I just played around with it for awhile today...not as good as my fender (play wise) but its still a good bass (for me, not someone with lots of money)

4. Well, there have been a couple of different models with the "SR1000" name. The one I'm thinking of had EMG pickups (the only Soundgear I remember that had them stock), ebony fretboard, and came in light metallic blue or metallic purple. I think the bridge would have said "Accu-cast" on it, but I may be wrong.

Looks like there was another "SR1000" model made in '95-97. It seems to have had a 3-band EQ with stacked bass/treble and mid/midfrequency controls (based on the circuit board digrams over on the Ibanez site), but I don't knwo any specs other than that--I dont' think it came with EMGs, though.

Mike