1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I got me a Peavey Foundation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kmon, Dec 13, 2011.

1. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    It's an 88, black, maple fretboard. Super Ferrite pickups, original case. $100 on the local list.

It's nicely broken in with plenty of player wear, but the frets look great and the neck is perfectly straight. Pots were a little scratchy, input jack a little flaky but some contact cleaner seems to have made those parts good as new. I'm impressed with the hardware...tuners are really solid and chunky, they look like the ones on my American Fender Jazz.

I really dig the black body and maple board, looks very cool.

I got it just to take it for a spin, figured I'd just flip it later, but I haven't picked up my jazz since i got it. The neck is incredibly comfortable, feels a hair thinner than the jazz, action was perfectly medium-low from the get-go. I played it through a TC Electronic RH450, RS2x12, RS2x10 rig at a rehearsal over the weekend and the electronics were dead quiet. The tone was just slightly less smooth, a bit less polite, and a little ballsier than the jazz...perfect for the classic/hard rock stuff we play. I've read that the super ferrites give you something in between a jazz and a P, and I can't think of a better way to describe it...that nails the sound I got.

I had my jazz on the side during the rehearsal but never opened the case :)

So hell yeah, I'm extremely impressed...I'm still in a honeymoon period but I'm really digging this thing. I'm surprised at how quickly it seems to have displaced the fender.

Looks exactly like this one:

2. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Congrats. I have an 86' Foundation S ( P & J ) that I bought new. I still love mine and like you said the neck is extremely comfortable. Post some pics of yours when you can.

100 bucks, great score in the case. You could get that just for the case.

3. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    love to hear the sound of it. Ive heard the p/j set and i think they are great basses. Congrats!

4. Welcome to the fold. I have lost count of how many Peaveys I have at this point. Foundations are easily my favorites. I am partial to the newer soapbar pickups, but have had 4 with the sfs. I am about to begin a project using soapbars with a modified and recapped 91 body. You have made a wise purchase.

5. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Congrats! The '80's Foundations are an amazing bargain and terrific basses.
    Your black/Maple is really nice. Enjoy.

6. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Congrats, man! I saw this one on CL, and it was REALLY hard not to pull the trigger on this one. I owe you for taking it off the market. :D

That thing looks like its in much better shape than in the ad photos.

7. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    hey a local!! That pic above isn't mine, just one that looks like it.

It was the usual CL thing though, the thing was covered in fingerprints and five layers of grime on the bridge and around the pups. Took me 30 mins to have it gleaming and a few squirts of contact cleaner had it all back to 100%.

I'm absolutely shocked at how low people will go on the American Peaveys...this thing plays GREAT. Playability and build quality seem easily on par with my american ja$z. Easily beats out MANY high dollar basses I've owned. Loving it

8. Anytime you can get a solid, playable bass for $100, you got a score. One thousand times more if it's a USA Peavey.

Grats on NBD.

9. Congrats! I've got a Fretless Sunburst from 89, but it doesn't get nearly as much play time as it should, maybe it's time I trade for a fretted..

They're great players - as I'm sure you're realizing - and $100 is a steal!

10. Nice! I'd like to get one someday. You did well at $100.

11. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Nice! Congrats!

12. Amazing, isn't it? Some day more people will catch on to these basses. In the meantime, enjoy!

13. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Love my Peaveys, can't wait to pick up a Fury & Patriot some day