1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I got me a ramp.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dreagen, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Well, it started out like this. Last saturday I was looking through all the pics I've saved of basses that I've seen on here whose design I like (I'm building my own bass, and I save any pic of a bass with a design I like), and I come across one with a ramp on it. So I thought "Heck, I'm bored out of my mind, why not go make one and see if I like it." So I went down to my basement and rummaged around for some wood, and lo and behold- I find a nice piece of flamed maple.:D So, about an hour later, I come out with this:
    DSCN3879.
    DSCN3881.

As it turned out, I had a gig on sunday morning (which happened to be my first gig :)) so I used there and LOVED it!

:bassist: :D

2. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    does it get in the way of slap?

3. Not at all, considering that I slap up at the end of the fretboard.

EDIT: Here's a pic to show the general area
    DSCN3871-1.

4. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is the point of such a devise?

5. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    I'd sure hope not! Slap up at the neck for the best response/tone for slap is the common opinion I believe. The best and clearest response is surely up there.

By the way, love the ramp. Most are black to match the pickups. It looks a little out of place but it is still classy enough to just make your bass look special and unique. Good choice!

6. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Rest your thumb on it while playing fingerstyle.

7. It makes it so it feels like you are playing over your pickup for a wider spot. Many people like it because you can put it quite close to the strings, then it stops you from digging in really hard, thus making you able to play faster.

lowsound

8. Thanks! I was originally going to make it out of walnut, but I cut the piece a little bit too thin, so I figured I might as well use the flamed maple, just to be different. ;)

(and because it was the next piece of wood I found ;))

9. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Did you radius the block?

10. Nope, not at all. Just made it the same height as the bridge pup, sanded it flat with a belt sander, and went back and rounded the edges.

11. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Nice! You should stain it a bit darker, I think.

12. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

Agreed. It would still POP and look unique, and it would also blend better.

13. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Sorry dude, but I think that looks disgusting.

The Bubinga Corvette is a beautiful bass and that ramp kinda ruins it IMO. Stain it, round the edges more, do something, please. :( Of course, this is all IMO.

14. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp

+1

15. riku888

riku888

Nov 1, 2007
    ohhhhh now I get it (slaps forehead)!

I've seen those on loads of basses but have never been able to figure out what it was for. It's been frustrating the hell out of me, but now I get it!
    Seems like quite a good idea now I come to think about it.

16. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I built a plexiglass one Saturday for my jazz. I need to get a thicker piece of plexi and actually cut it with a band saw as opposed to a dremel, but it worked pretty nicely.

17. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    Question, how did you attach it?

18. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    I dont get the ramp thing. IMO it uglies up the bass but to each his/her own.

19. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    The Roscoe Beck IV has a thin plexiglass ramp between the pups. It's bareley noticible from more than a few feet away. I was lucky enough to have Roscoe show me the original prototype and I didn't even notice the ramp until he pointed it out.

20. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That's what your B string is for. :)