I got me an R Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Sep 18, 2004.

1. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hey all!
    I just got a bass from Brian B from the Low End which showed up yesterday. He was absolutely great to deal with, and shipped the bass immediately. He gets my repeat business, for sure! It was shipped in one of the Incase bags....WOW!! Nice bag! Anyway, when I saw he had an R, I jumped at the chance. Funny thing is, it was a bit different than what I'd usually play. For starters, it has a 33" scale, which I was a little bit skeptical about, an aluminum bridge, saddles AND nut, and a full Bart setup, which on some basses I don't care for. BUUUUT, on this one, it really, REALLY works!! :hyper: This is the best sounding all-Bart package I've ever heard, and brings the bass to life...a great match for this particular bass. The top is imbuia, and it's really subtle, kind of like a 70's root-beer Jazz, and a very nice light piece of alder for the body. The neck is very Fodera-esque in it's shape, has a J bass nut width, and has a very pretty maple board.
    The 33" scale gives all of the lower register notes a very punchy, fat sound, and it really sounds great through my Walter Woods. Cuts like CRAZY through the mix, and is very comfortable to play and wear. In short, it KILLS!
    I'm not really great at posting pics, but if someone wants to go to Brian's site @the Low End, or Rbassguitars.net in the gallery and post a pic or 2, that would be awesome! It's the only 4 with a maple board and imbuia (brownish color) top.
    Boom boom,
  2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    would that be this one:

It's the only 4 string I saw on the RBass site.
  3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

Great to hear on both the Rbass and the Incase!

The Incase's are with out a doubt one of if not the best hard bag cases on the market.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Aluminum nut!???! Why?...

5. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Nice bass! I have to stop by there and get some strings.
  6. Wow... I really like that bass... Congrats... :bassist:
  7. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hey, thanks y'all!
    Lajoie, that's the one!
    Devilman, I'm assuming he put an aluminum nut on it so that the fretted noted would sound the same as the open strings. The bridge is the typical aluminum Hipshot variety, so I am assuming that the did it for purposes of being congruent. (That's a big word for a bass player! :D )
  8. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
  9. BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Congratulations on your new R Bass. These are just killer basses IMO. I have a 5'er and wouldn't take anything for it :)
  10. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV

Cool bass!

Didn't you have some R-basses before? I think maybe you had an amboyna R 4 string? If so, do you have any pics?

How do the Barts compare to the Smith/Nord setup? In some ways I like that sizzly bart high end, but I think the Smith/Nord setup is very phat and natural with a low-mid response similar to my upright.

11. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hey Will!
    Yeah, I had an amboyna burl R a few years back that I would sell a testicle for to get back! That was a dumb move, selling that one. :scowl:
    Anyway, this Bart setup definitely isn't sizzly....I was pleasantly blown away at how meaty this one is in the low mids....a smoking back pickup Jaco tone. Just how I like it! :D Compared to the Smith/Nordstrand combo, the bass is a bit more aggressive sounding...the Smith pre midrange setting is centered a little too high for me, and when the new Smith preamp is available to the public, the Nordstrand's going to get an "organ transplant"! The new preamp has dip switches to tune the preamp the way you like it.
  12. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV

Interesting you say that, because I usually back the mids on my Smith (with Nord NJ4SE's) off a little and boost the treble perhaps half for fingerstyle (It compensates for the Clarus' soft highs just a little.) When the mix gets a little denser I'll run the mids or boost a hair. You never really think about the detent being in the wrong place...

The Fusion pre does look nice. Ken knows what he's doing and has the ears of an upright player, which resonates with me.

Congrats again...wish you had some pics of the amboyna! I think that's my favorite kind of top!