Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got Mesa Walkabout Scout, but please help me for tube..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jin Kim, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Finally I got Walkabout Scout last saturday..
    Wow, I couldn't be happier. I've check sound at my home after got back from G.C.
    It sounds like 24 track analog recording session for a long time ago which I never forget the sounds from tape..Mmmm.
    You know what I mean? Thick, deep, punch etc...

Anyway, I tried search what you guys talking for replacement tube for Mesa but I couldn't find it..
    So what do you recommend for tube? Please let me know.. :smug:
    Thanks in advance..

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I did a shootout a while back, and here is what I found:

"Well, I finally had time over the weekend to run through my batch of preamp tubes in my Walkabout and decide which one worked best. The tubes at my disposal were as follows:

Mullard 12AT7/CV4024
    JAN Phillips 12AX7
    JAN GE 5751
    Shuguang 12AX7C9
    Telefunken ECC83 (smooth plate)
    JJ ECC83S

The original Mesa tubes said "Russian 2" on them, but I don't know who made them.

Virtually all of the tubes mentioned above offered some kind of improvement over the stock tubes. However, most differences were very subtle.

The Mullard was by far the warmest sounding, and had a good deal of low mids - too much for the already mid-heavy Walkabout. Still, if you are looking to add some meat, the Mullard would certainly do that.

The JAN Phillips is a great all around tube. Very nicely balanced tonally, with good articulation.

The JAN GE 5751 also had good tonal balance and was a pleasant sounding tube - not harsh at all. However, with the reduced gain, it didn't overdrive as well as the others, which is something I like to do with the Walkabout.

The Shuguang was a bit of a surprise. Upon first firing it up, I thought that it might be the ticket. Very robust signal and tone, overdrives great. However, then I noticed that it was really bringing out the finger/string noise in a huge and somewhat obnoxious way. I don't know if this means that it was slightly microphonic, but it was not desirable. Too bad, because otherwise this tube has a lot of promise.

The Telefunken was the most articulate tube of the bunch, with a bit more upper mids than most. Very clean sounding tube with the Gain down and the Master up, and probably sounded the best of the bunch when overdriven. Good balance, too.

The JJ was very similar to the Tele. Not quite as articulate, but perhaps had sweeter high end. Overdrove quite well, though not as nice as the Tele.

By comparison, the stock Mesa tubes did not have as much articulation as any of the tubes above (though they were close to the Mullard in that regard), and the tone was not as coherent. They did overdrive quite nicely, though not as convincingly as the Tele or JJ. Granted, there wasn't a huge difference overall, but I would say that you can do better than the stock tubes, and it shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.

Ultimately, it came down the JAN Phillips, the Tele, and the JJ. These three were the most similar sounding of the bunch. I ended up choosing the Tele for its articulation and best overdrive tone. The JJ would probably be my second choice, although the JAN Phillips was very, very comparable.

The Walkabout has a second tube which drives the MOSFETs, and after playing around a bit, I chose the JAN Phillips for that duty. It really is too bad that the Shuguang had that string noise thing going on, because it really kicked in the pre-MOSFET socket - most balls and gain of the bunch.

There are a lot of good tubes that I didn't get a chance to try, but there you have the results of my own very unscientific preamp tube shootout.

Hope this helps, Tom.

P.S.
    I got my tubes from Doug's Tubes, and he was very helpful."

3. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    I put a GE 5751 in my eden Metro and really liked it. I little bit warmer than the Mesa 12AX7 that was in it. I decided neither tube could do the SVT sound I was looking for so I got an sansamp RBI. That works well with my FBB that has a pronounced midrange, but my G&L really has a scooped sound when the drive and blend are turned past 12 oClock.

My quuestion is does the walkabout offer a gritty overdrive, or does it just warm the signal up abit?

4. :p It is great information for me..
    Thanks a million..
    How can I contact Doug? Do you have his informations like web or phone no.?
    If so please PM me or leave here.
    Thanks again man..

Anybody tried with sovtek or some others?

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  6. hoytmonster

hoytmonster

Nov 28, 2003
    I have several of the tubes Tom has, but not all (nice collection there). For example, I have the Mullards, GEs etc. and am always changing, rearranging tubes in my Guitar amp and my mic preamps. Point is, I'm normally a tube/tone junky.

But, I like my Mesa Walkabout/Scout exactly as it is and just haven't seen the reason to open it up. I've never not done that before. I'm plenty happy with the way it sounds, the amp and everything is just perfect for me -- I've gotten rid of some killer amps and find the Walkabout just great.

I do appreciate Toms comments -- if I decide to tweak it a bit, I'll give some of those suggestions a try.

7. ^^ I just want to know which one is better for next time.
    You know, I want to have an information first.
    Thanks you guys. I love Tber.. :p