I Got money! Need help shopping.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimbass55, Aug 28, 2002.

1. I will try to keep this as short as possible, but there will probably be lots of questions and info. Thanks in advance for your help.

I haven't been playing bass for too long and I am kinda green when it comes to gear. I am currently playing with and SWR wkmn's 1x15 with a 2x10 Carvin extension cab(when needed). I currently play a G&L ASAT(electric) & 60's Kay Upright in the style of Country/Blues. The SWR has worked great so far (not real great for Upright), but at my last gig I had the volume up half way, and I know that I probably need a more powerful rig. I would like to lean towards getting a 4x10 cab because they just sound better with Upright, but I need help with the amp head. I do not understand the whole Power amp Preamp thing, so any explanations would be great. I am leaning towards an amp with at least 400watts @ 4 ohms, but there are so many to choose from. Would I be better off doing the Rack thing with a Preamp, Poweramp, tuner, etc... ?:confused: I have money burning a hole in my pocket, but I do not want buyers remorse. I think I have decided on a 4x10 and a 1x15 made by Avatar, but I would like to settle on the "brain" issue before getting them. Thanks for your help and sorry it is soooo long.;)
  2. By the way, I found a SVT 3Pro with an SVT 4x10hen and SVT 1x15en, for $900-$1000. Would I be crazy to pass on this deal. The cabs are heavy as hell, that is what is holding me back. Also the fan on the head ran the whole time I was testing it. Does this mean it is running hot, I thought they only came on when needed. ???????
  3. That SVT rig would sound good and the price seems pretty reasonable but you've got a hell of a lot more ambition than I have...carrying that SVT rig, an electric and an upright would put me in traction for a month! The SVT rig will put out 350 watts if you use both cabinets and only 200 watts with one of the cabs, so consider that
  4. That sounds like a killer deal on the Ampeg stuff. New it would run at least double that. I have the SVT3-Pro and the fan is always on. I have had it since new. On the SVT-3 it never shuts off but I think it speeds up and slows down. I would get that rig, but I am young and drive a pickup so I have room and the strength for a lot of gear (I use my SVT-3 with a 8X10). I would just say try it and if you like the sound, you cant loose.

5. Thanks guys. What are your opinions on Poweramp, preamp setups as opposed to the other. By the way, I too am young and own a truck, but there have been times I have had to carry gear up and down stairs, and at 100lbs a cab!!!!:eek:
  6. Every company out there seems to be coming out with a mid range cab and amp that is less expensive. I would suggest looking at all of them and then making a decison. The workingman's 4004 head (SWR) would be a good complement to your rig and it's 400W@4ohms.

Going with the power amp, preamp set up can be good if you want to use a specific pre amp to mold your sound and there are plenty that can do that. Price is all that really matters. Finding a good power amp is also a hurdle you would need to jump.

My suggestion with power amps: Go with either Crown, QSP, or Mackie..(in that order).....there the most reliable and best quality. Don't buy a cheapo.

All and all, it'll cost you around the same thing if you buy the head itself or construct a rack so go with what you need. If you need something just to power it go with a head. If you need something with stereo capabilites go with the rack.

Your call........

7. Thanks for your input. The main reason I am considering going with the rack setup is because I play both Upright and Vertical bass. (mostly electric) I thought that I could get My electric preamp, my Upright preamp, and use the same poweramp and cabs. What do you think?
  8. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    How much do you have to spend?

I wouldn't buy that Ampeg stuff unless you would anyway regardless of the price. It's not a good enough deal to live with gear you're only so-so on.

What kind of tone do you like? How much are you willing to carry?
  9. I have around $500 cash right now(more coming the longer I wait) and I was planning to trade in some of my current gear for the Ampeg stuff. I really am not in a huge hurry, so I would like to figure out what I want to do as far as the head goes. I think I want a 4x10 cab first, with at least a 400 watts(head) to push it. I was going to try the Avatar cabs. From everyones recomendations they seem to be a great value. I play country/blues, and I really don't know a specific tone I am looking for, or what to call it, but I know it when I hear it. I like a nice fat round, punchy, but not muddy tone, with not to much high end. My SWR 1x15 sounds pretty nice, but it is only 165 watts.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Sorry, but I gotta do to you what they did to me. When money was burning a hole in my pocket everyone told me to buy myself an avatar - and become a supporting member. It worked, they guilted me into it.