Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got money, now I need a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Alrighty. Heres the deal, Ive gotten between 700-900 dollars saved up and Im quite ready to spend them.

I want to dedicate this to a bass that I will not have to upgrade anytime in the near future or ever. I want this to be a GOOD BASS.

I want a jazzy tone, Ive fallen off 5 strings for the simple fact that I dont like spacing on most, I need a bit wider spacing than most people offer (or I'd be all over the Warwick SS2).

Currently, Im looking at either finding a used 75' Fender Re-Issue (I really want a CAR one w/ matching headstock *sigh*)

The new Darryl Jones sig bass, after its been out a bit, pick up a used one.

Or a used Roscoe Beck 5.

Any reccomendations on where to go? I like diversity in tone, but my favorite tone are thick bottom ended, WARM, juicy jazzy tone.

Any reccomendations would be great. I live about an hour away from BassNW, so I can try a lot of basses if need be :)

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Try and locate a NOS MIA standard jazz new, you should have enough for this bass and it will need nothing. these basses are still around in all colors, But sorry no CAR w/matching headstock. Good luck little buddy!:)

3. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    NOS?

And hey, thats the first time you posted without flashing your CAR beauty.

SUre you dont wanna fork it over for a miniscule price? :)

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    NOS = new old stock. basses that are still in stock but have a 2000 serial number on them. I bought a natural NOS standard jazz for 699.00 with case new. Here where I live they still have a bunch left.

5. Dook

Dook

Jan 18, 2003
    Tacoma
    I just got a beatiful used G&L at Bass NW last week.
    Talk about tonal diversity!

Give one of those a try.

6. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    bump :)

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    G&L definately makes some good juicy sounding basses. If youlike the jazzy stuff, I would really reccommend trying a Fender Deluxe MIM (I think the MIA's are over 1 grand,haven't checked in awhile).

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I agree on the MIM Deluxe. Prsonally I like the way they sound bette than the MIA Deluxes & they cost OVER twice as much!!! A Geddy Lee JAzz would be a great choice, G&L L-2000, SB-2, JB-2.

Lakland SkyLine 55-01 has a nice wide fretboaed & IMO, SOUNDS GREAT!!!!!!

Soooo many choices, too little money. :)

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Lakland Skyline 44-02!!!

Absolutely, definately check 'em out.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey little buddy, Fender is coming out with a highway1 series.it will be MIA and a step up from the MIM series. they make one in crimson red transparent. these basses will be out in another month and will go for between 599 and 699.00 . I cant wait to see them myself!:cool:

11. With Fenders, I kind of like the standard MIA P and J, with no active electronics. But I won't be a 4-string guy for much longer; I'm movin' to 5.

I have major GAS for a Kingston and/or the lower model Skyline.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I can't wait to give one a test drive myself. :)