1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I got money, now I need a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Alrighty. Heres the deal, Ive gotten between 700-900 dollars saved up and Im quite ready to spend them.

I want to dedicate this to a bass that I will not have to upgrade anytime in the near future or ever. I want this to be a GOOD BASS.

I want a jazzy tone, Ive fallen off 5 strings for the simple fact that I dont like spacing on most, I need a bit wider spacing than most people offer (or I'd be all over the Warwick SS2).

Currently, Im looking at either finding a used 75' Fender Re-Issue (I really want a CAR one w/ matching headstock *sigh*)

The new Darryl Jones sig bass, after its been out a bit, pick up a used one.

Or a used Roscoe Beck 5.

Any reccomendations on where to go? I like diversity in tone, but my favorite tone are thick bottom ended, WARM, juicy jazzy tone.

Any reccomendations would be great. I live about an hour away from BassNW, so I can try a lot of basses if need be :)

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Try and locate a NOS MIA standard jazz new, you should have enough for this bass and it will need nothing. these basses are still around in all colors, But sorry no CAR w/matching headstock. Good luck little buddy!:)

3. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    NOS?

And hey, thats the first time you posted without flashing your CAR beauty.

SUre you dont wanna fork it over for a miniscule price? :)

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    NOS = new old stock. basses that are still in stock but have a 2000 serial number on them. I bought a natural NOS standard jazz for 699.00 with case new. Here where I live they still have a bunch left.

5. Dook

Dook

Jan 18, 2003
    Tacoma
    I just got a beatiful used G&L at Bass NW last week.
    Talk about tonal diversity!

Give one of those a try.

6. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    bump :)

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    G&L definately makes some good juicy sounding basses. If youlike the jazzy stuff, I would really reccommend trying a Fender Deluxe MIM (I think the MIA's are over 1 grand,haven't checked in awhile).

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I agree on the MIM Deluxe. Prsonally I like the way they sound bette than the MIA Deluxes & they cost OVER twice as much!!! A Geddy Lee JAzz would be a great choice, G&L L-2000, SB-2, JB-2.

Lakland SkyLine 55-01 has a nice wide fretboaed & IMO, SOUNDS GREAT!!!!!!

Soooo many choices, too little money. :)

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Lakland Skyline 44-02!!!

Absolutely, definately check 'em out.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey little buddy, Fender is coming out with a highway1 series.it will be MIA and a step up from the MIM series. they make one in crimson red transparent. these basses will be out in another month and will go for between 599 and 699.00 . I cant wait to see them myself!:cool:

11. With Fenders, I kind of like the standard MIA P and J, with no active electronics. But I won't be a 4-string guy for much longer; I'm movin' to 5.

I have major GAS for a Kingston and/or the lower model Skyline.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I can't wait to give one a test drive myself. :)