Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got my 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arther daily, Jul 2, 2001.

1. I finally settled with a US deluxe Fender P 5 string.

I must admit, I think Fender as a company suck, but this bass rules. I played it and immediately knew why people always go on about 'the fender P sound' - the b string is nice, the neck is NICE and the tone is exactly what i am looking for. Oh and it looks the business too, sunburst with off-white pickguard and the the most beautiful rose wood board you've ever seen!

Here's the basses that missed out:

G&L L2500 - was a bit plasticy and sounded, for want a of a better word, cheap! Strange cos I expected so much from this bass.

Stingray 5 - awesome, sounded as good as my stingray 4, but...

Warwick corvette 5 - sounded and played like a dream, but the look wasn't me (flamed maple and gold-coloured hardware) and the electronics were shot - really loud hum when the treble was boosted - like a TV after the programmes have ended!

I also tried out a 5 string Alembic - wow, the neck was like concrete - an amazing instrument.

Took her to practice on sunday - oh dear!

2. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Congrats on the new ax. There's just something about looking for a new bass and finding "the one."

:D

3. Yeah, that's true.

I do feel slightly lame tho... I mean everyone plays Fender P and I kinda wanted to be different, but I spose it's what you play, not what you play it on.

It's the neck and the fretboard that have got me going, the neck is really solid, all the vibration from the strings comes right through the body... and the tone is sooo bassy compared to my Ray, which is really bright in comparison. I was considering buying a compressor to fatten up my sound a bit, but I wont need to with the Precision.

the mother of pearl inlays and rosewood board is gorgeous too. i am indeed in love!

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations, Arthur, and welcome to the world of extended range basses!:)

Enjoy the new Fender. That Am P Deluxe is much better than the Jazz V's IMHO.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Arther ...

Yeah, but not that many play a 5-string P. I've played the four (and own a 1993 P Deluxe 4, which is very different), and the sound surprised me. Wouldn't mind having a five myself. Congrats, man, great bass!

6. cheers dudes! - THe main reasonm I went to a 5 was that i was sick of having to play high when my band knocked out low D, C or B... once more they shall crumble before the awesome power of the bass... that's how it should be!

Having a problem actually, changed the strings from tapered to non-tapered and the intonoation is out on the B string.
    The note at the 12th fret is too high, not quite C, but you can clearly hear the difference.
    Should I lengthen or shorten it at the bridge and/or lower the action to accommodate for the fatter string?

I know this shoudl be in set-up, but...