Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got my '57 RI today!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by greendayjustin, May 29, 2004.

1. Great bass. When not plugged in it sounds amazing, but when I plug it in, I get really good mids but the low end seems kinda...shallow? Maybe I just need to screw around with the pickups a little more to get a richer, louder E string. By the way it is finished in white blonde, and it has a ash body! Im thinking of putting a tortoise shell pickguard later on to get the look that I want. I will try to post some pics later today.

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    It has the gold guard on it now right? If so keep the gold on there. Pure class.

3. It has the gold one on now..I kinda would like more contrast between the color of the bass and the pickguard. I know what you mean though :bassist:

4. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I've got a '57 RI that I am thrilled with. when played alone, the low-end does seem lacking ever so slightly, but when played in a band context, the low-end comes shining through like a great P Bass

5. I fixed my low end problem...but the only thing that kind of irritates me with this bass is that when I play with a pick, the raised pole pieces get in the way. I know that sounds really stupid, but other than that I love this thing. :bassist:

6. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I used to have a 57 RI Fender P. Ended up replacing the pickup with a Seymour Duncan Antiquity P-bass without the raised A pole piece. Nice upgrade while still keeping the vintage vibe.

7. i wonder what look you'll be going for, justin? ;)

dont worry.. im a Mike D freak too... id do the same.. (wah-oo! wow-oo) :crying: :hyper:

8. Micro, Mike Dirnt is the man. enough said! I was thinking of going with the look of his "Stella" bass. You know the '69 in Olympic White? That thing is gorgeous. But his has a rosewood neck. Oh well, I think it would look better with a tortoise shell pickguard anyway.

9. yeh word! i love his style and everything. "Stella" is a great sounding bass and the white with tort guard is a real nice combination, for MANY basses! :)

i have a G3 and a G, both awesome. :D
    i like my next will probably be a sting ray tho, not a huge fan of how i can get P's to sound... plus Fender's shady QC on many basses ive played is quite bad!

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Maybe try raising the pickup on the E and A side?