i got my bass but im a bit dissapointed with it

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by black_tiga_s, Jan 11, 2002.

1. black_tiga_s

Jan 11, 2002
    dont get me wrong i love playin but i have to get a better bass. 4 u c i have a squire p and i seriously think that its not too good the string tones r uneven, the G and the D string sound the exact same...

im saving my money 4 a diffirent bass a good bass! 1 that is less then 500$ canadain if u can give me any suggestions then id thank u from the bottem of my bass guitars pick-up!

also how mych would i get if i sold my guitar to a store (on average)

and and....(sorry) how can u upgrade your guitar?
  2. Crash McLarson

Crash McLarson

Jul 23, 2001
    uhhhhh..... did you tune it?
  3. black_tiga_s

Jan 11, 2002
    yes i tuned it didnt i mention that?? well neways i triend all kinds of diffirent tuning and still the same
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No, but you have to tune the D string to D, and the G string to G. Then they won't sound the same. I sense operator error here.
  5. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    one of the best ways to "upgrade" your bass is to become an expert on it.
    learn about basses... everything from how it's constructed to how to adjust the bridge.
    becoming knowledgeable about your bass will solve many many problems...
    do everything you can to become a better player too. that will make your bass play/sound a whole lot better.
    good luck!
  6. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    well you can start by calling it a bass ;)
  7. How can the tone be uneven if the strings sound the exact same? Also, if you don't like the tone have you tried changing strings?

Also if you sold it to a store, you'd probobly get $20 for it.
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Knowing what bass you have would be helpful.
  9. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I have a hard time picking details out of all these runon, no-punctuation "cn n e 1 ndrstnd m3" posts too. :)

But, the man did say it was a Squire P. :D
  10. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    maybe you just gave up trying to read the post, as i almost did ... he's got himself a Squier P-Bass, most likely an Affinity series.
  11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Correct spelling, punctuation, and the use of real words are not the enemy. Plus, it makes your posts much easier to read.
  12. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    hmm.. the only way your D & G strings can sound the same is if they are tuned to the same note. I mean a D needs to be tuned to do and the G string must be tuned to G... theres is really way D and G can sound the same..
  13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey, I'm almost 31 years old, I'm obviously over the hill for this kind of talk.

Squier Affinity basses have a Killer sound for the price, although their hardware is kinda shoddy.

Take the bass to a repair shop or find an older player to help you learn how to tune it. I didn't know anyone when I had my first bass and broke my g tuner because I tightened it too much.
  14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Nuttin' wrong with a Squire for the price.

Everybody's gotta start somewhere, and (IMO) a Squier has better build quality that a Rogue or other generic Korean bass.
  15. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    WHat? get out man. There is no bass in the world that could beat a Rogue. I'd take one over a lakland anyday ;)
  16. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    c'mon guys he just asked for a little help. im pretty sure that if he knows the names of the strings he is able to tune them.

i have played the bass that you are talking about and know what you mean about the unevenness...if you really want a new sound, youll have to get new pickups but that wouldnt be worth it in a squier. might as well get a new bass.

MIM Jazz Bass

MIM P Bass

(i dont know the Canadian dollar, but these are both are about $350 american)

these two basses are pretty much the standard around here for your first or second bass purchase. the jazz will give you more versatality, but the P will give you..well..a P sound (better for punk rock). Dont get me wrong though, the P can used for many situations and the Jazz is great for rock, so its up to you.

i suggest you go to the store and try out as much as you can, even if theyre out of your price range, so you can get an idea of what kind of sound you want.

P.S. sorry that im the only one that tried to answer your post, the other guys seem to more into grammar than basses ;)

17. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    If it's a new bass, it probably came with the cheap Fender strings. I personally don't care for the sound of the Fender strings. You might want to try a different set. I like the DR nickle sunbeams. Just a thought.
  18. jazza42uk

Sep 14, 2001
    Bristol, UK