Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got my Bass V-Amp yesterday...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by patrickj, Dec 3, 2003.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    ...and so far I'm pretty impressed with it.

< minireview >

I'm using it directly as a pre-amp into my QSC/RMX 850, and from there to X cabinet(s). I chose the table-top version rather than the Pro for a variety of reasons, but ultimately I decided that I would rather have the portable version as it would allow me to carry 0 rack gear just to use my EUB. I'm now trying to avoid being dependent on rack gear when amps/cabs are already available to me @ practice, and unfortunately my current rig was entirely rack based.

I have no idea how to edit patches yet, and I haven't even really figured out how to add any of the programable effects, but the Amp simulations alone make it worth the $ IMO. The SVT2 emulator sounds like an SVT2. The Brit60sPop(?) Noel Redding thing sounds exactly like something Noel Redding played. The Clean/Tube preamp sounds exactly like the Behringer 1953 tube preamp I've been using. My last multi-effects unit was an old Boss ME-6B which has served me quite well for years (converted it into a rack box - not an easy thing to do :D), but I decided I wanted something new. The V-Amp has none of the noise/digital hiss like the Boss had, and the Comp/EQ/Gain/Volume knob layout is a whole lot more on-the-fly useful than having to edit a patch.

The effects sound ok, but I doubt I will get much use out of them with the type of music I play.

This is my 4th piece of Behringer gear. I see a lot of reviews on their stuff ranging anywhere from *it's crap* to *great sounding gear*. I've yet to have any problems with anything from Behringer (and I play out a lot - never failed on me). I expect to put this through it's paces over the next few weeks with various christmas gigs, so I'll post a follow up on it's performance.

< /minireview >

Anyone have any tips on programming this thing? I've read the manual cover to cover, it's not rocket science to be sure, but it's not exactly intuitive in design ;)

:bassist:

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    The only thing I would suggest is downloading the software from the V-Amp site and hook the thing to your computer. If you don't have a midi interface on your computer, you can get a USB midi interface for around $40-$50. It is well worth the money.

3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I've actually got a USB<>Midi interface + cables already, but I don't have a PC. I'm inquiring @ Behringer to see if they have a Mac version available (or in the works) for the V-Amp gear, or if maybe there's a way to make the software communicate under Virtual PC.

Thanks!

4. I've had mine (the Pro version) for about a month now...It's a great little unit! I haven't done any programming with mine either, but like patrickj says, the amp emulators are fantastic. The only "tweaking" that I do is to roll off the effects. I'm bass-ically a purist when it comes to my tone, just some compression and occasional chorus. I do like to reproduce the old Nugent phaser sound once in a while...:D

My goal is to incorporate my V-Amp in a four space rack with a power amp-eliminate the rackfull that I'm dealing with at the moment. My Acoustic 370 is starting to give me trouble, so I'd like to get it fixed and keep it as a backup.

So far I've played with the V-Amp through headphones, my Acoustic, and an old pair of Peavey powered near-field studio monitors. I've noticed NO coloration in any of these formats, though I did pull out the cab emulator when running into my SVT-50DL--still sweet.

It's going to make a great studio addition as well. I also play some acoustic and electric guitar, and use a 1992 Ensoniq SD-1 keyboard sequencer, and ALL of these instruments will benefit from the V-Amp Pro...

Bottom line-I am happy...:)

5. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Just an update.. I used it last night with both my jazz 5 piece and the full jazz band I play in (practices). The provided combo amp I usually use is a Fender Bassman 100 (iirc), and I just ran the V-Amp into the effects bypass -> out through the combo amp.

My instant favorite amp simulations are 1) tube pre-amp (sounds AWESOME, FAT sound!) and the tube pre-amp/mic'd (same as the first one, but with the nice thumpy mic'd cabinet flair), 2) the piezo EQ (flattens out a raw piezo signal so it's not so harsh), and 3) the psuedo SVT/2 presets. The combo I was playing through sounded a lot more alive than it normally does considering that it is only a combo. I hate the effects. Well, to be fair, I never use effects beyond EQ and Compression, but are these even really effects? I'm sure they sound quite fine, but I don't use effects period, so there basically a gimmick to me.

I dig this thing. Best $140 I've spent on bass. :bassist:

6. Hmmm, I guess that EQ as an effect is arguable, but depending on how radically it's used it can be either categorized as an effect or preamp I suppose. Remember, if it colors your sound, it's an effect.

Compression is definitely an effect. Just hit the bypass switch back and forth a few times, you'll see what I mean.

As far as the best dough spent on bass outboard gear, so far I can't argue with you. I'm just now dialing in a personal signiature sound patch (kinda Chris Squire/Tim Bogert/that guy from Head East-ish ;) ), I'll let ya know how it turns out.

7. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    You guys should post some sound clips if you're able. The ones on behringer's site sound great but I'm always more interested in what a real life user gets out of it.