1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I got my dad's 85 Kubicki Factor fixed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 0scar, Apr 30, 2006.

1. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    by Kubicki himself. Wrote a fat check to get everything looking and sounding like new. Everything seemed perfect at first but now I realize when I turn the volume up and down it kind of cuts out at certain points, due to older age I'm assuming? This isn't a very big problem to me (since I generally only alter the volume at the amp/other sources), but now I also realized that when I put the output volume on max, there is a high pitched sound always ringing in the back. It's not REALLY loud but enough to where if I keep the volume settings the same and turn on my distortion stompbox, the high pitch turns into piercing feedback. Does anyone know what's wrong? I'll be contacting Kubicki as well, but I just want to hear all of your opinions on it...thanks in advance

2. I'd get a hold of them, send it back, and then play it when it's right.

3. Sounds kind of like a bad pot.

lowsound

4. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I've got a later Kubicki (88?), -just barely pre Fender, it's got so much top end that I always turn the treble down to minimize noise, and I never do that on my other basses. I think the treble is the outer part of the 2nd knob. I had another one too, early Fender custom shop but early enough to still have the Kubicki electronics, and I think it was the same.
    Try some trumpet valve oil in your volume knob. My friend was head tech at a well known amp company, and he recommended that I try that on guitar pots, it healed a really-really bad EMG volume pot one a Hamer that had been sitting forever before I bought it.