Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got my first car

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Mar 12, 2004.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Today i put down my $100 deposit on my first ever car!

1985 Holden Commodore VK Wagon. White, extractors, power steering, auto air con, front disk brakes, alloy wheels, the works. $1900 aswell! It has a little bit of rust around the back window, but nothing a bit of fish oil wont fix. The car has done 390,000KM, but it got a new engine 6 months ago, so the engine itself has only done 240,000Kms.

The guy i brough it off just got a new car, thats why he is selling this one. its just had the air con system full re-worked, new drive shaft and new brake callipers.

It hasnt got a CD player, but that will soon be fixed. First thing im going to do when i get it home is clean the back window, and chuck in a metallica sticker ;) The reason i got a wagon is so i can fit all my bass gear in the back, and if i go away for the weekend, i can put the back seats down, chuck in a few blankets and i got myself a bed :cool:

Heres some pics:

2. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    And the last 2 ;)

3. Dude. Steering wheel's on the wrong side :)

240,000 km's in 6 months? My god. That's just shy of 150,000 miles. What was this thing being used for????

4. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    The engine was used in another car that was written off. He brought the written off car from a wreckers, and put it in this one. Works dandy!

5. Nice car. Thats a lot of miles, but hey for a first car thats pretty good lookin. I wish i bought a wagon, my Geo Metro isn't cutting it for hauling gear, and I only have 2 basses and a 1x12 amp. I only have enough room for myself and maybe one other person :eek: . Hope your car works out for ya!

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    In the USA, Chevrolet made a wagon that looks like that.

Way to go bro!!

-Mike

7. ? What model are you talking about? I see no shared body panels from any mid 80's GM product. No shared headlights/taillights/windows/etc.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Kirb's new car reminds me of this one: http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/1986_Chevy_Cavalier.html

I don't know if the two cars "share" any parts, but they do look alike.....kinda.

-Mike

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I wish GM would bring Holden to America. I'm usually not much of a fan of U.S. domestic cars, but some of those Holdens would make me think once or twice about buying a car from GM. I guess there's the GTO.

10. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    They do. They are importing HSV GTS Monaro's over there, but they have added a few little mods. Dont ask me for a pic though, i wouldnt be able to find one, they are extremley rare.

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Kirby,

Congratulations!!!

that wagon looks like it can haul an SVT 8-10 bottom with no problem! Come to think of it... you could also haul...

and Acoustic 360 cab,
    or two 4-10 cabs,
    or a 2-15 cab,
    or a 4-10 and a 2-10,
    or....

sheesh, I think you've got it made with those wheels! enjoy!!!! :hyper:

12. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I havent even showed you the picture from behind yet ;)

13. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Thats cool.
    Needs to be washed, But why wash it when you can drive it.

My dad just bought a 1993 honda gold wing. His selling his old one.

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Man, you've been had. The steering wheel is on the wrong side. :meh:

;)

15. Congrats on your first car kirbywrx!! :hyper:

What is the price of fuel in your area?

16. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Roughly 85 cents per litre. (petrol) High, yes, but that why i planned to get it put over to gas (LPG) ;)

17. When do you get your driver's license in Australia?

18. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    In the state im in (Victoria) you can get you L plates when you turn 16. This lets you drive any sort of car as long as you are supervised by a person with their full license. Then when you turn 18, you can go for your P plates (probationary) which lets you drive unsupervised, but you cant tow a trailer. To get your P's you have to sit a theory test, and go for a 30 minutes drive with a driving instructor and an assesor.
    You gotta be on your P's for 3 years, then you can take them off, and you pretty much have your full licence.

19. I know many drivers over here who should have to go through that.

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Congrats! It's cool to be able to "have Rig, will travel".