I got my first fretless! :D

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    It's no 9 string multilaminate Conklin, but it's my first fretless (and second bass). It's a Yamaha BB404 Fretless! First thing I did was string it up with TI flats (except for the A string, I got some of the batch where all the A's were buggered and I had to send it back) and tune it up. Realizing that even though it had lines, I had still better check intonation, I kept the tuner out and checked exactly where to "fret", as it were, etc. etc.

Yeah, it's an exciting new thing for me, I've wanted to have a fretless for a long time now (I came close several times to defretting my other one!) and now I've got one. Intonation'll take a little bit to get down, but it's got such a radically different, and great sound. I'm soooo happy with it, I could almost cry! One strange thing to note -- I can get a great simile of the tone from Primus - Antipop on it, which is very very cool. Tapping is both easier and harder on it, depending what I'm doing...but all in all, it's a GREAT bargain -- $500 CAD (that's $400USD for you American fellas, not sure about the price in pounds).

There are a couple minuses about it...the knobs are those Gibson speed-knob style, and are thus very ugly. The finish is rough in spots around the horns, and the maple fretline inlays stick out the tiniest bit at the ends, but nothing as bad as the fretwork on a fender ;).

I'll have pictures up as soon as I get my new A string and batteries for the digital camera.