Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I got my first fretless =]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I got a mim jazz bass 4 string fretless today (no flaws) and upgraded the pickups to a pair of highend active emgs and got some cool upgrades on it like a new pickguard, knobs, etc.. It sounds SWEET on my carvin/ampeg stack.. I've totally been converted to fretless ;)

2. Nice :) Put it in your profile along with your amp! ;)

3. dblbassted

dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    Congrats on you purchase. I'll give you some advice that my old teacher gave me. 1) Don't expect everyone you play with to like it. 2) Practice with your eyes tightly closed and your ears wide open.

4. Welcome to the wonderful world of fretless! There are quite a few of us out here. Study it well, and it will treat you well. If you have any questions, we have a great Prof. in Dann Glenn.

Play on.

5. I bought a fretless bass a while ago and really loved it at first. However slowly the more and more I enjoyed the more I realized how much everyone else hated it. Its not because I played out of tune. It took a guy in my band three weeks to notice that it was fretless and he was always complaining of the tone. But everyone really hated the tone. I dont know what it is about this bass. If anyone has a suggestion about how to beef it up help me because I love this bass. It is a Yamaha BBN4F. Right now I have La Bella Nylons on it but I put those on after people complained about its tone.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Please let me know what you find out because I want to order a fretless in a couple of weeks.

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Dunno about how those Labellas sound but IMO my BBN4 III fretless sounds too dark(especially on E-string) with D'Addario Chromes on it, which I have understood are bit brighter than your average flats. I have been told this is because of P-style soapbars on the bass. Turning highs up and low&mid down on your amp helps a bit, but I think I'll try DR Sunbeams on it next.